Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Help! I need ideas for my new store!!!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

I like to make and sell old-school useful things, like dish cloths and towels and scarves and such because examining these items is a great way to see a slice of life in another time or place.  

I am a complete history nerd, so that's where I take a lot of ideas for my store from.  I have an obsession with the 1100-1400's, the 1800-1920's, 1940-45, and early hominid theory.  I am somewhat of an anthropologist as well.

I'd love to make socks (but haven't learned how yet.  but it's something i want to make and include in my inventory eventually), pillowcases and quilts and lunch bags.  I love anything useful, mundane or common to make because I like to compare methods from different time periods.  NERD!  Haha.  

I also love handknit or crocheted toys.  I have a fondness for amigurumi and also tiny knit items like hearts, animals, etc.  They have a kind of timelessness and I like that about them.

So I have things kind of in the pipeline right now as far as ideas go, but I would love to hear what customers would like to be able to find online as far as handknit/crocheted items go.  Is there anything you have been trying to find but can't?  Or is there something you have already seen but that can be done better?

Any and all ideas are much appreciated and will be taken into consideration!!!  My brain hurts from so much thinking about the store so I would love some new perspectives on it.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shilohkitten
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

BUMP!

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

It sounds like you have great ideas and think you should stick with those! I think they would go over well and would be fun to market. 

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

There is a market for anything, if you desire to make something, do it. But I would say you should keep all your products in one theme - IE, I only sell monsters and Mon-stors. I am known for it. That's my thing. People come to me for it. I make a ton of stuff but I don't sell it all. I have won several awards painting ceramics but I wouldn't ever sell them.

Find what you are BEST at that you love to do, and build on that. It makes owning a handmade business so much easier when it is something you are GREAT at, love to do, and you can easily make connections and market it.

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Try the unusual, like alpaca yarn. Infinity scarves, and long thin scarves are big right now. You see a lot of professional women wearing them. Good luck.
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I LOVE alpaca fiber!!!

Quoting suetoo:

Try the unusual, like alpaca yarn. Infinity scarves, and long thin scarves are big right now. You see a lot of professional women wearing them. Good luck.

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Awesome thank you!!!  I am really excited about them, maybe it shows?  I am glad you like them!  I have added some new things to the store that I am hoping to make soon as "coming soon" items and they are all in the useful/mundane category.

Not so much historical since I haven't figured out how I can work that in yet.  

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I was just thinking about your store while I was wondering how to do mine!  I really do love how yours is very focused on the single theme.  I am thinking of sticking to just dish cloths, wash cloths, baby wipes, dish towels, hankies...stuff like that.  And kitchenware like pot holders, trivets, cloth napkins, etc.  Stuff everybody needs.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

There is a market for anything, if you desire to make something, do it. But I would say you should keep all your products in one theme - IE, I only sell monsters and Mon-stors. I am known for it. That's my thing. People come to me for it. I make a ton of stuff but I don't sell it all. I have won several awards painting ceramics but I wouldn't ever sell them.

Find what you are BEST at that you love to do, and build on that. It makes owning a handmade business so much easier when it is something you are GREAT at, love to do, and you can easily make connections and market it.

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I love this idea too!  I am working on an infinity scarf for my FIL currently, but I would love to do a duplicate of the pattern and sell it.  

I have been wanting to try alpaca yarn too!  Maybe I should do a second store once I get that stuff made....

Quoting suetoo:

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I will post a link to my store in the Marketplace too so if you want to see what it looks like you can.

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN