Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Help! I need ideas for my new store!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I like to make and sell old-school useful things, like dish cloths and towels and scarves and such because examining these items is a great way to see a slice of life in another time or place.  

I am a complete history nerd, so that's where I take a lot of ideas for my store from.  I have an obsession with the 1100-1400's, the 1800-1920's, 1940-45, and early hominid theory.  I am somewhat of an anthropologist as well.

I'd love to make socks (but haven't learned how yet.  but it's something i want to make and include in my inventory eventually), pillowcases and quilts and lunch bags.  I love anything useful, mundane or common to make because I like to compare methods from different time periods.  NERD!  Haha.  

I also love handknit or crocheted toys.  I have a fondness for amigurumi and also tiny knit items like hearts, animals, etc.  They have a kind of timelessness and I like that about them.

So I have things kind of in the pipeline right now as far as ideas go, but I would love to hear what customers would like to be able to find online as far as handknit/crocheted items go.  Is there anything you have been trying to find but can't?  Or is there something you have already seen but that can be done better?

Any and all ideas are much appreciated and will be taken into consideration!!!  My brain hurts from so much thinking about the store so I would love some new perspectives on it.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

You have just helped me so very much!!!  Talking to you about themes has really made me think about where I'm heading with the store, and I just had a giant epiphany about it!  Total lightbulb moment, all the gaps were just filled in for me!!!  I updated the store to reflect all of the new ideas....which tied it all together for me - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

I feel so relieved to have worked this part out!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

There is a market for anything, if you desire to make something, do it. But I would say you should keep all your products in one theme - IE, I only sell monsters and Mon-stors. I am known for it. That's my thing. People come to me for it. I make a ton of stuff but I don't sell it all. I have won several awards painting ceramics but I wouldn't ever sell them.

Find what you are BEST at that you love to do, and build on that. It makes owning a handmade business so much easier when it is something you are GREAT at, love to do, and you can easily make connections and market it.

sew4fun
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

you have great ideas ! I love "old fashioned stuff" . Not all of this would be knitt or crochet. But here are a few things that would work into the theme of your store ( I think LOL ) . Hand embroidered dish/tea towels, old fashioned aprons. I know I would buy the above as well as towels with crochet handles ( to hang on stove or fridge), wash cloths, rugs, pot holders, casserole carriers, dish towels and even fridge maganets.

sew4fun
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Ya know I am not sure how well these would sell but what about little crochet or knit garland to hang up in the home? or tea pot cozies ?

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thank you!  I am looking into getting out my sewing machine, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  I'm still building up some inventory with the knit stuff.

I LOVE your ideas too!  Thank you so much!

Quoting sew4fun:

you have great ideas ! I love "old fashioned stuff" . Not all of this would be knitt or crochet. But here are a few things that would work into the theme of your store ( I think LOL ) . Hand embroidered dish/tea towels, old fashioned aprons. I know I would buy the above as well as towels with crochet handles ( to hang on stove or fridge), wash cloths, rugs, pot holders, casserole carriers, dish towels and even fridge maganets.

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Oh those would be fun to make too!  I could see that working out really well!

Quoting sew4fun:

Ya know I am not sure how well these would sell but what about little crochet or knit garland to hang up in the home? or tea pot cozies ?

opinionatedmom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

remeber in the old days the hats that had the ear flaps and tied under the chin? if you make these I would buy one. my son has major ear problems infections, fluid etc. I have to keep the wind out of his ears. when my 24 yr old went through this I could find these. now I can't and they don't hardly make coats with hoods anymore. most coats I see don't have hoods. severe need for this.

Now my son would love one of these in the shape of a cowboy hat. I wouldn't be able to get him out of it. He thinks he is a cowboy. lol Make anything that would cover the ears. warm weather items also. cold weather items. I can't let the wind get in his ears. and I am in oklahoma and god knows the wind blows here alot. spring, fall, winter all year round.

shilohkitten
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Oh I would love to get into making hats!  I will try it!   I need one for my son too, he's 3 and daycare has him out in the cold every day.

What kind of yarn would you want to have it made from?  I like to use wool but I know some people have lanolin allergies so I could always use some thick bulky cotton or something like that.  Also how bulky of a weight are you looking for?

I will have to learn how to make a cowboy hat shaped one, but I think I know how to make the rest already!  I am going to sketch this out and try it!

If you would send me an email at kaylenticasdreams@gmail.com, I will reply to it with a picture once I get the prototype made!  Any color preferences?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

remeber in the old days the hats that had the ear flaps and tied under the chin? if you make these I would buy one. my son has major ear problems infections, fluid etc. I have to keep the wind out of his ears. when my 24 yr old went through this I could find these. now I can't and they don't hardly make coats with hoods anymore. most coats I see don't have hoods. severe need for this.

Now my son would love one of these in the shape of a cowboy hat. I wouldn't be able to get him out of it. He thinks he is a cowboy. lol Make anything that would cover the ears. warm weather items also. cold weather items. I can't let the wind get in his ears. and I am in oklahoma and god knows the wind blows here alot. spring, fall, winter all year round.

opinionatedmom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I would need a thinner one for fall and spring and a heavy one for winter. he also loves dinosaurs and elmo if that would make it easier. no preference on the yarn or color. use your imagination. he also likes speed from cars. I will pm you my email

Quoting shilohkitten:

Oh I would love to get into making hats!  I will try it!   I need one for my son too, he's 3 and daycare has him out in the cold every day.

What kind of yarn would you want to have it made from?  I like to use wool but I know some people have lanolin allergies so I could always use some thick bulky cotton or something like that.  Also how bulky of a weight are you looking for?

I will have to learn how to make a cowboy hat shaped one, but I think I know how to make the rest already!  I am going to sketch this out and try it!

If you would send me an email at kaylenticasdreams@gmail.com, I will reply to it with a picture once I get the prototype made!  Any color preferences?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)