Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

How did you know?? Newbie here.

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

I know that may be a strange title. But I'm wanting to start crafting, but I don't really know what to do.  I've dabbled with several things, but I just don't stick with it.  I enjoyed polymer clay but can't seem to think of any creative ideas of my own.  I'm just wondering what got you ladies to doing something you enjoy??

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brieshon
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I mostly crochet, but am getting into sewing more and more. I've also done knitting, soapmaking (the lye kind, not glycerin soap), soy candlemaking, painting (love painting, bit don't have enough kid-free time or space!), and some crafts with my kids. :)

My advice is to keep trying stuff until you find one that clicks for you!

Also, I've found that I sometimes have a hard time being creative with a new craft or medium until I'm reeeeeaaaaally familiar with it. If my brain is still focusing on how to do a half-double crochet stitch, it can't think of new and exciting things to do with it, lol. If you enjoyed clay, keep with it - even if you're just learning the techniques for awhile. Then I bet you'll be forming some shape and think, ” oh, you know what I could do with this??” and you'll be off! :)

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvGodRonNBabie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thank you !! :)

BabyloveCCR
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I mostly do scrapbooking and paper crafting.  I would like to do more sewing if I can ever get my hands on a sewing machine. 

Peruse pinterest for ideas, try some out, and hopefully, you will find a passion for something.

luvGodRonNBabie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I never thought of checking Pinterest! Here is a pic of one of my clay pieaces I made about a year ago

mamavaness
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Im right there with you. I dabbled in scrapbooking, sewing, jewelry making lol but my problem is I start and dont finish :( Right now Im making a really cute headband out of old tshirts and im enjoying this project..its gonna take me about a week tho since I have to squeeze in 10minutes here and there. Im hoping I start sticking to my projects though, im so jealous of all the crafty mommas

cowgirls10181
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM
I have tried clay but wasnt creative enough for it. I sew, crochet, knit, bake, tatting, fliet crochet, and felt toys. I love sewing best because I have results faster, but love the look if knitted and crochet and hand stiched felt. Keep trying something will scream at you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

well with clay, just think up one theme: butterflies, autumn leaves, halloween, something and just build that one thing for awhile. you can use leaf shaped cookie cutters with scrapbook leav presses, if you want.

i'm a happy Humanist.
question everything, except your mother.
i dont like to use capital letters.
RutterMama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I agree. Keep trying things until something feels right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvGodRonNBabie
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Thanks ladies! I was thinking about maybe working on some Christmas ornaments with it. I do like that medium.  In my area there just doesn't seem to be market for anything but hairbows, pillowcase dresses, diaper bags, and wreaths.  I've tried so much of that and it just wasn't my thing.  I'd really love a hobby that would bring in a small amount of money in the future. We'll see.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Lately, I mostly sew (but that is always true in October), I am starting to learn soapmaking (starting with glycerin based), I crochet, I am learning to knit (as my grandma has time), I paint boxes and frames, I cross stitch, I do some plastic canvas, I do crafts with my kids, I enjoy playing with clay and want to learn to make pots, and I make beaded jewelry, I do kumihimo, I want to learn to spin and use an inkle loom. I also scrapbook.

However, I am a craft collector. I start learning at least one new craft about every 24-36 months and hop back and forth between different crafts, unless I hae an order for a specific type of item.

Just try different things until you find crafts you are comfortable with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN