Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got a question?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

Okay I actually have two questions to machine sewing.  The first one is what color of thread do you leave on your bobbin at all times or do you have a variety of colors that you leave on your bobbin?  The second or last question is...  Will any sewing machine needle work when you break your needle?  I have a brother sewing machine and I'm learning as I go lol!  Thanks in advance for answering!  

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

bump! My machine has been in the box for 3 years so I am no help. lol

Bl3ss3dMommi
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually have different colors on spare bobbins. About the needles i know there's didn't types of needles depending on what your sewing. I think there's different ones for different machines to cause when i go buy new ones i remembered looking for the ones that was for the machine i have. I'm sure someone will be able to help better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I generally keep several black and white bobbins around and several empties to make bobbins of my own colors for certain projects. Generally you want to use either the same brand or an off brand that says it will fit a brother machine. I always buy the singer brand needles for my singer because I feel that they work in the machine better.

jenzachsam
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Thank you!

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

I generally keep several black and white bobbins around and several empties to make bobbins of my own colors for certain projects. Generally you want to use either the same brand or an off brand that says it will fit a brother machine. I always buy the singer brand needles for my singer because I feel that they work in the machine better.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I use a variety of colors, depending on the project, but I always have white loaded on a bobbin. And as for needles, it depends on WHAT you are sewing - there are different needles for different materials.

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I use cream thread for almost everything, whenever i can and fill extra bobbins before I start. I'll buy two spools of other colors and thread 3 extras on my bobbin threading machine. The sewing needle must be made for your machine, you can use generics, check the brother web site first. And then certain fabrics need certain type needles. Try to find your machine instruction booklet, or look for the model #on the back of your machine, and contact brother, they should be able to help. The wrong needle will wreak havoc on your seams and tension.
Adipose
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

huh, I didn't know it was common to use differenct colors on your bobbin, I always used the same color as whatever I was using lol

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure about the needle, but I always use the same color thread on the bobbin as the thread on top. If you don't want to do that, I recommend at least having a dark one and a light one to match whatever you are working on somewhat. 

Kenzismommy09
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I always use the same color of bobbin thread as I do my top thread.

I have a brother machine and have used singer needles but they make universal needles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SLGross215
by Sarah on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I use the same thread in my bobbin that I use on top so it all matches I have a brother machine and I buy universal needles. I always buy a variety pack so that I always have a needle for any type of fabric.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)