Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

ot kitty question

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 2 Replies

i told my husband male calico cats are rare and he replied does that go for tortiseshell calicos too?does anybody know? i just wondered because the neighbors behind us have a grey calico and a fluffy tortie the same size i think theyre girls 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TAG_ur_it
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM

well, my cat had 2 calis in her last litter,both female.  this litter ( a complete accident) has 2 calis, 2 tortis a grey and a beige and white.  only the beige one is male. my last cali was a female.  i've personaly never seen a male cali or torti.   i looked it up though.  males are 1 in 3000 and are sterile. 

mama_girl07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This is what I found

Calico cats are almost always female because the X chromosome determines the color of the cat and female cats, much like all female mammals, have two X chromosomes, whereas male mammals, including common male cats, have one X and one Y chromosome.[2][6][8] Since the Y chromosome does not have any color genes, there is no chance he could have both orange and non-orange together. One main exception to this is when, in rare cases, a male has XXY chromosomes (see Klinefelter's syndrome), in which case the male could have tortoiseshell or calico markings. Male calico or tortoiseshell cats are sterile due to the abnormality of carrying two X chromosomes. Few of these males can breed (1 in 3,000) and are rejected by breeders for studding purposes and would, in any event, pass on only one of those X chromosomes to any male offspring, producing normal (non-calico) male kittens. "In the case of a calico cat, the feline‚Äôs parents passed on different versions of X chromosomes genes related to coat color."[6] The color of calico or tortoiseshell cats is determined by the X chromosome(s). Tortoiseshell and calico cats are almost always female because of X chromosome inactivation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)