Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Updated 12-19-12* Sponsoring a family

Posted by   + Show Post
I added notes as to what is done/received/etc :)
I can't say enough just how amazing you ladies are!

Here are the details so far (if I left anything off or put someone down by accident, please let me know so I can fix it!):

Baby boy (18mo) - she said any kind of baby toy, etc is fine
{Done} Me - alien-print fleece blanket
{Received} Rmgriffberg - taggie

AriannasMommy84 - crocheted ball/toy
{Received} MissElissa - dino
{Received} Melanie - taggie stuffed animals
I'm also going to make him a newsboy hat, and if I have time, a pillow pet!

5 year old girl - loves princesses, is allowed to have earrings/jewelry
{Done} Me - pink/brown floral fleece blanket
XVAMomma - iSpy bottle
{Received} AriannasMommy84 - princess hat
{Received} Melanie - little mermaid miniature pillow
{Received} MissElissa - crayon roll
I'm going to try to make time to whip up a unicorn pillow pet for her as well!!

9 year old girl - loves Hello Kitty, doesn't have pierced ears, but loves other jewelry and hair stuff
{Done} Me - Hello Kitty print fleece blanket
Turtledoves - Hello Kitty hat
Bmom7210 - Hello Kitty crayon roll
{Received} Rmgriffberg - hairbow
{Received} HeathersRich - hair bows
{Received} Melanie - necklace or bracelet
{Received} A friend of mine is also getting her some store-bought gifts and clothes

9 year old boy - she said he loves "anything boy related really" lol! Likes Super Mario & Zelda games (3DS)
{Done} Me - Pirate print fleece blanket, Mario hat, piranha plant hat & scarf
Bmom7210 - crayon roll
{Received} Melanie - tool belt

12 year old boy - "anything boy related"
{Done}Me - skull print fleece blanket
billssweety - mohawk hat
{Received} Melanie - tool belt
Another friend of mine will be getting him store-bought gifts

Teen girl - would be into things for her room, and likes hot pink & blue, loves dolphins
{Received} Melli - Pink/blue hat
{Received} Jasmine - Makeup bag & makeup, blanket
Me - personalized wall art, book page roses
{Received} Melanie - secret keeper stuffed dolphin

Thank you ladies SO much for your interest in this. This will not only help her give her kids a great Christmas morning, but having a bit of financial strain relieved is also going to help her wait the month out (a month from now, there will be a well-paid banker's position opening that would get her back into her career!). We can really make a huge difference in this woman's life!

If it would be easier to figure out everything through text, just pm me & I'll give you my cell number!

11-10-12:
I was talking with an acquaintance today, and she told me that unless she finds a second job soon, her six kids "will be opening boxes of IOUs for Christmas." I can't stand the thought of childrengoing without, and my husband and I sponsor a family every holiday season, so I was thinking of stepping up and getting some things together for her, her husband, and their kids for Christmas. I don't know all their ages off the top of my head, but would anyone be interested in making something for them if I get their exact ages? I can reimburse people for shipping if that's an issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Money was tight for us last Christmas, so we didn't get to sponsor a family, but I did make a LOT of hats, scarves, and mittens in all different sizes & patterns/colors, and then collected a few boxes of handmade hats & scarves from women at my church and brought it all to our local women's shelter a week before Christmas =)
Anything and everything is appreciated, and people can ship things to me, and then I'll wrap them and have her pick everything up at once from my house. Right before Christmas. Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad we're all able to do this for her & her family!

Quoting deeredone2:

We usually adopt a family too.  In fact last year I sent a one of the members from this group a box for her little ones.  She was in the same predicament.  I'll be willing to help, just let me know where to send the gift and when.  This is really what Christmas is all about.  You're awesome for doing this.

deeredone2
by Deedra on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

AWESOME!  I'll get some shopping done next week and I'll message you for an address.  Thanks for including us in this.

Quoting DaiTilley:

Money was tight for us last Christmas, so we didn't get to sponsor a family, but I did make a LOT of hats, scarves, and mittens in all different sizes & patterns/colors, and then collected a few boxes of handmade hats & scarves from women at my church and brought it all to our local women's shelter a week before Christmas =)
Anything and everything is appreciated, and people can ship things to me, and then I'll wrap them and have her pick everything up at once from my house. Right before Christmas. Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad we're all able to do this for her & her family!

Quoting deeredone2:

We usually adopt a family too.  In fact last year I sent a one of the members from this group a box for her little ones.  She was in the same predicament.  I'll be willing to help, just let me know where to send the gift and when.  This is really what Christmas is all about.  You're awesome for doing this.

"I ♥ my Marine"

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Ok, :) I have an online sale on the 7th of December. I can work on something that weekend! Just FYI.img do bows. :)

Quoting DaiTilley:

Honestly, as long as I have time to get everything together for her to pick up, I don't mind if things are getting here the day before Christmas Eve! =)

Quoting HeathersRich:

When do you want the items by? I'm leaving town for Thanksgiving so I can't do anything for a while.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Tia on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

What an awesome thing you are doing!

DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!! I am so excited! This is the first time I've sponsored the family of someone I know, and it's going to be so nice knowing that it's not only going to give them a nice Christmas, but also help them get back on their feet!!

Quoting deeredone2:

AWESOME!  I'll get some shopping done next week and I'll message you for an address.  Thanks for including us in this.

Quoting DaiTilley:

Quoting deeredone2:

DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! Thank you! And bows would be perfect for the five & nine year old girls; momma actually named "hair stuff" as one of the things the nine year old especially loves :3

Quoting HeathersRich:

Ok, :) I have an online sale on the 7th of December. I can work on something that weekend! Just FYI.img do bows. :)

Quoting DaiTilley:

Honestly, as long as I have time to get everything together for her to pick up, I don't mind if things are getting here the day before Christmas Eve! =)

Quoting HeathersRich:

When do you want the items by? I'm leaving town for Thanksgiving so I can't do anything for a while.

DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Thank you! I'm so excited, and I can't believe the amazing response! I got all choked up last night just thinking of how great everyone has been :3

Quoting RutterMama:

What an awesome thing you are doing!

AriannasMommy84
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

BUMP!

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM
I am bumping so i dont lose this post let me see if i can do anything and get back to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Thanks! I'll keep updating as I get things together and if I get any more info.

Quoting nebcutie:

I am bumping so i dont lose this post let me see if i can do anything and get back to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)