Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Ceramics question

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hi! I'm new to this group. I joined because I'm sort of new to painting ceramics and wondered if anyone had some advice on how to paint them. So, here's the dilema. I have 2 planters that are molded as unicorns. I want to paint them in pearlescent colors. I think matte colors would be too boring for them. I may not ever use them flower pots. I really don't know. I just know I don't want matte colors. I'm used to painting ceramics and throwing them in the kiln and they are ready to go. I have found some no-fire white  irediscent pearl. But I'm not familiar at all with no-fire paints and not sure that my greenware could even use that. Help please!

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krystlbear_84
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

BUMP!

CrystalYaris
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Thanks! =)

Quoting krystlbear_84:

BUMP!

MissElissa21
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Tia on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

bump, sorry this isn't my area but here's a bumb for you

melliburger
by Melli on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

I've never painted ceramics :) But good luck!

armyvet06
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Bump! Im kinda familiar with ceramics but not that kind of paint. Have you tried looking up info online? Or maybe go to a local ceramic store and ask someone there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jennifair
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM

OK I'm haven't painted ceramics in a while, but...... are the pieces cleaned and fired? if they have been fired, you could just paint and when done spray with sealer. But I would glaze at least the inside if you were to use it as a planter. I hope I answered what you were asking, 

CrystalYaris
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Nothing has been fired yet. The greenware my grandma is giving me she had pored and formed when I was little and never did anything with it. We have a kiln to do so. You did sort of answer another question I had about what to do with the inside. =) Thank you!

Quoting Jennifair:

OK I'm haven't painted ceramics in a while, but...... are the pieces cleaned and fired? if they have been fired, you could just paint and when done spray with sealer. But I would glaze at least the inside if you were to use it as a planter. I hope I answered what you were asking, 

CrystalYaris
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I have been looking up the colors I want, with some good luck but it's all no-fire. I've never worked with it. I may do some more research on my next day off from work. Most of our stores (are a couple hours from where I live, but isn't a big deal) require we do the painting there and firing there. There reason is because most people want to paint them but don't have the stuff to fire them.

Quoting armyvet06:

Bump! Im kinda familiar with ceramics but not that kind of paint. Have you tried looking up info online? Or maybe go to a local ceramic store and ask someone there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)