Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Advice please from all the jewelry mommas!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: What would be a good beginner project?

Options:

Bracelet

Necklace

Earrings

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Ok, so now that I have a general idea of what all my thingys are in my epic haul, I want to try my hand at making something.  What do you feel is the easiest thing to start with?  I've never done this before.  Well I did as a child and it always turned out like crap.  Lol.  Are there basics I should start with?  What do you think?

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissElissa21
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I picked earrings because, they are fun! I made stitch markers from earrings that work really well. You just build it like a dangly earring and bend the ear hook so that it closes. I am pretty sure I forgot to post a pic of them when I made them a few months ago lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annasew
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM

watch some youtube videos and then decide what you want to try.

ZsMommy
by Heids on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Earrings or stretch bracelets are your simplest of the two-Did you get jewelry pliers with your new stash also?

SamKlug
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM

That's what I was thinking too.

Quoting MissElissa21:

I picked earrings because, they are fun! I made stitch markers from earrings that work really well. You just build it like a dangly earring and bend the ear hook so that it closes. I am pretty sure I forgot to post a pic of them when I made them a few months ago lol

SamKlug
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I actually found a really good video just now!  I was shocked at how easy it looks after watching it!

http://www.artbeads.com/instructor-tutorial-jewelry-making-for-beginners.html

Quoting annasew:

watch some youtube videos and then decide what you want to try.

SamKlug
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Unfortunately no.  But I do plan on picking them up after work today.  I have a pair that is very close that I'm going to try for now.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Earrings or stretch bracelets are your simplest of the two-Did you get jewelry pliers with your new stash also?

ZsMommy
by Heids on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Well if you want to just tinker round for now-pull out the stretch cord and the beads and make some bracelets would be my suggestion til you get the tools-basically cuz a round nose plier,needle nose plier and a wire cutter are your best friends when it comes to other projects. You could make a couple earrings without a round nose pliers-but once you get a set-you'll see it looks nicer once you bend and curve the end of the head pin-vs just pinching it shut with a regular pliers.

Quoting SamKlug:

Unfortunately no.  But I do plan on picking them up after work today.  I have a pair that is very close that I'm going to try for now.

Quoting ZsMommy:

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Bracelets are wicked easy!

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Earrings because you can learn all the basics, such as using the pliers, making loops etc. Bracelets are also a good starter project because you learn crimping and stringing. I still picked earrings. =)

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Or bracelet. Both are quick easy projects. Making a ribbon bookmark (like the kind you find in bibles) is also a quick easy project.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)