Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Do you think this looks too "busy"

This will be the inside.

And this will be the outside.

Do you think it is too busy? It is for my autistic son.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Replies (11-17):
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I did. The problem is he was overstimulated due to a visit from one of his favorite people. So I am not sure if the fabric would cause him to be overstimulated or not. Seperately they did not seem to be a problem, but together...I will have to try again tomorrow, hopefully he won't be too overstimulated first thing in the morning and I can get a better gauge of his reaction...I think I would get a headache if I had to look at this too often, though.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I would ask him what he thinks of it put together like that.

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Crayon Roll. He likes to draw and color. It is one of his stims. He chose the fabrics. But it seemed too busy to me.

Quoting MizMellyMac:

may be overstimulating for a kiddo with autism. is it a weighted blanket or something?

ZsMommy
Is it Saturday yet? I want to sleep in! (lol)
Today at 5:19 AM
by Heids on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

If he picked it-you're probably good. It's hard to tell what is a trigger factor. I have a HFA daughter-luckily she never was overstimulated by pattern or color-just sounds when she was younger.

I personally am not really a fan of the inside pattern-but if he chose it to go along with the Safari print-you "should" be okay.fingers crossed

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Crayon Roll. He likes to draw and color. It is one of his stims. He chose the fabrics. But it seemed too busy to me.

Quoting MizMellyMac:

may be overstimulating for a kiddo with autism. is it a weighted blanket or something?

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM

It is actually a dark giraffe print. He decided they went together because it is an old "scrap" skirt that my mom was going to fix but never did. He pointed to the giraffes on the safari print and then to the giraffes on the bottom of the skirt and gave us the asl sign for same. But when I asked what he wanted of the boy and nuetral fabrics he wanted the animal print part of it and not the giraffe part of it...so

Quoting ZsMommy:

If he picked it-you're probably good. It's hard to tell what is a trigger factor. I have a HFA daughter-luckily she never was overstimulated by pattern or color-just sounds when she was younger.

I personally am not really a fan of the inside pattern-but if he chose it to go along with the Safari print-you "should" be okay.fingers crossed

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Quoting MizMellyMac:

RutterMama
by Tia on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM
I'm not a good judge, as I don't know what they need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM

If he likes both of the fabrics but you are concerned about them together could you just put a solid color with the animals fabric and then make something else with the fabric from the skirt?

WhichMommee
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I agree, he chose it so there's a reason and you can always change it later.  But just personally I would have one fabric on one side, and the other on the other just for aesthetic reasosn.  Finding out from him what he thinks and why is a great idea though.

jryberg
by Jaime on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

i think since he chose them then you should make it for him. but if you are really concerned about the prints then i would put a solid with the print. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)