Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Day One: Piano to Desk conversion!

Posted by   + Show Post

IMG-20121116-02589.jpg

So this is my dead piano, Old Chap.
His pedals don't really work, he can't hold tuning (so things don't sound all that nice), and some keys don't ring, but only give a little "plink."
Betsy is being dropped off tomorrow to relieve him of duty, but I just couldn't stand the thought of destroying him after so many years of loyal service; we bought him USED when I was very young, and this is the piano I learned to play on, starting at age six.
The plan is to gut him, then sanding, staining, and finally being repurposed as a desk!
Here's today's progress (pics in replies). Ollie took a good nap, so I was able to make some great progress!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Lol!
It would have been cool if it was though; then we'd be able to trace his whole journey! ;)

Quoting meliscool72:

ok that is definatly not the piano I sold then lol

Quoting DaiTilley:

Illinois (Chicago area)

Quoting meliscool72:

where are you from? That looks exactly like the one I sold when I was young.

DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
That's exactly what hubby said when he saw what I'd done! Lol

Quoting melliburger:

WOW!

DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Thanks! I really can't take credit for the idea itself; I was browsing for ideas and googled "ways to upcycle a piano" (or something along those lines), and when I saw piano desks, I knew that was what I wanted to do with it!
Even though he wasn't able to serve his original purpose anymore, there's still a beautiful piece of furniture there.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I love your beautiful idea to recycle the piano. So many things go to the dump. It is a wonderful thing when this are repurposed. You are doing a great job and I love the idea of making the keys into art. 

black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You can take credit for the idea to upcycle the piano though which is the most important thing. I reuse everything I can in our home because I was taught this by my family. I just tore apart stained clothes so that I could use them as filling in a pillow that was made for my daughter's Yule gift. Upcycling is the best craft. 

Quoting DaiTilley:

Thanks! I really can't take credit for the idea itself; I was browsing for ideas and googled "ways to upcycle a piano" (or something along those lines), and when I saw piano desks, I knew that was what I wanted to do with it!
Even though he wasn't able to serve his original purpose anymore, there's still a beautiful piece of furniture there.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I love your beautiful idea to recycle the piano. So many things go to the dump. It is a wonderful thing when this are repurposed. You are doing a great job and I love the idea of making the keys into art. 

Jennifair
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Dai, so cool. can't wait to see it finished 

roxxyt
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM
How cool looks like you're having fun, it will be beautiful when you're done I bet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaFrankie
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

You can def make a frame for a mirror out of those keys or even make a frame out of the bass strings!!! ahh my creative ideas are FUELED from this LOL

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

So sad.........:-(

So exciting....

a good death for an old friend.

DaiTilley
by Dai on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM
That's true. =)
My mom acted like I was absolutely nuts when I told her my plan, and I'm still fighting her on the wire issue. She thinks I should not even try to loosen & remove the wires, but instead just let them go to the scrap heap with the peg board. But I can't stand the thought of scrapping yards and yards of wire that could make great jewelry or be used in other projects.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

You can take credit for the idea to upcycle the piano though which is the most important thing. I reuse everything I can in our home because I was taught this by my family. I just tore apart stained clothes so that I could use them as filling in a pillow that was made for my daughter's Yule gift. Upcycling is the best craft. 

Quoting DaiTilley:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That would be so cool! But you're right, it would be too heavy, maybe use only part of it..... or not. lol

Quoting DaiTilley:

=)
I almost wish I could keep the board & wires intact as it's own art, but it's just so darn big and HEAVY! Lol

Quoting DanaG70:

Awesomeness! It's been a long time since I've seen the inside of a piano. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)