Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Seam help pretty pretty please???

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM
  • 3 Replies

I'm making myself a panel skirt with the most amazing light grey fabric.  The problem is that this fabric is a little stretchy and heavy and the seams will need to be more than a straight stitch on the inside so the seams aren't visible on the outside.  I've been looking at different types of seams trying to find one that will be 100% on the inside but so far everything is inside and outside (ie the type on jeans- felled something or other I think)  I did look at a french seam but perhaps it was a bad tutorial since it looked like there was thread visible on the outside?  Any suggestions??

Thanks ladies!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
roxxyt
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

The french seam is the only one Ive ever done and it was years ago. Good luck

rowansmum
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

A big concern is that the fabric will show the seams if they're too thick :s  I suppose tho the best way is to try and see lol

Quoting roxxyt:

The french seam is the only one Ive ever done and it was years ago. Good luck

PoplarGrove
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

a true french seam won't show on teh outside. The tutorial you looked at was probably a flat felled french seam which is sewn flat and looks like a jean seam.  A french seam is one where you first sew the seams at 1/8 inch with wrong sides together then you sew the same seams with right sides together at 1/4 inch.  This incases all raw edges but I don't think it would help with a heavy jersey fabric.  If it were me and the seams needed more structure I'd do a double seam on the outside of each seam.  You use a double needle and stitch along either side of the true seam.  It provides stability and looks stylized.  I've done it in coordinating thread on a few children's skirts and dresses and it looks pretty cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN