Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

rainbow help

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

my SD has asked for a rainbow blanket for her bed.  the child is all about the rainbows.  so i've looked everywhere i know to look (that i can afford) for a rainbow blanket.  not rainbow stripes.  an actual rainbow.   i've seen a couple of quilts and afghans that would work, but they're generally way out of my budget and i'm not proficient enough to pull it off on my own.  any ideas on where i can look?  i tried etsy, ebay, amazon, walmart, pottery barn (WAY out of my price range), target etc.  walmart has an option in their photo creations for a picture blanket, but i can't find a pic with high enough resolution for it to work.  help?  lol.  i'm getting desperate. 

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by Jennifer on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Even making it yourself will not be cheap but the quality would be great and it would last a lifetime.

The picture idea could work.

I would try and tackle it on my own but be prepared it will probably take a lot of time!

Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I think you've checked everywhere I would have checked! I'm sorry :(

-JC-
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

What's your price range? Maybe we can help more then. 

TAG_ur_it
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

$35 is about the most i can do for it, hence my problem.  i thought about trying to crochet her an afghan, but i'm nowhere near good enough to tackle that yet.  i can't even figure out how to finish one color and move to the next.  i really need to look it up on youtube. 

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

what about a fleece with rainbows on it and doing a knot blanket?

Sarahb21
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM

This!

Quoting nebcutie:

-JC-
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

$35 is about the most i can do for it, hence my problem.  i thought about trying to crochet her an afghan, but i'm nowhere near good enough to tackle that yet.  i can't even figure out how to finish one color and move to the next.  i really need to look it up on youtube. 

:/ I would offer, but honestly, I'd be lucky to find material or yarn (i quilt and crochet) for under 35$ for a twin sized blanket. 

I'm sorry. 

TAG_ur_it
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

i've been all over town and can't find any :(  that was my first thought. i was just going to get rainbow fabric and make a duvet cover but i haven't found anything that would work.

Quoting Sarahb21:

This!

Quoting nebcutie:

TAG_ur_it
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

the worst part is, i found the perfect blanket but they only have it in toddler size, and i thought about just adding a border to make it a twin, but it would look REALLY weird. 

if only it was bigger, it would be perfect.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everything-for-Kids-Happiness-4-Piece-Toddler-Bedding-Set/17278933

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Do you sew?   You could do a quilt with a white background and then applique the rainbow colors on the quilt. If you use solid color cotton, you should be able to find the fabric for about $4/yard.  You don't even have to use one long strip for each color, you can peice them together to form the arc so you'll be able to get by with less fabric.  But you will need to come up with some sort of pattern.  You could even applique the rainbow on fleece and either sew a border on or hem the edges to finish off.  The applique stitch could be done by hand (blanket stitch) or on a sewing machine with a zig zag stitch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN