Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

is it possible to teach yourself how to crochet???

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 26 Replies

ive been trying but i cant seem to get the hang of it?  what are some ways you learned to crochet??  how many different patterns are there????

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mabearof6
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes you can teach yourself.....Youtube is full of videos.   Look for The Crochet Geek.  She has some of the best videos out there.   As for patterns,  there are numerous patterns and stitches.  Start with the basics though then work your way up.

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Try watching tutorials on YouTube - that helps me learn new stitches! And keep practicing - it takes time to get your stitches even. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama_girl07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely. I started last yr and takes alot of practice. I used youtube to learn. It didnt really click until I youtubed a video on how to read a pattern. Now I dont need patterns for the most part.

MorganTho
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I learned to knit with youtube. I've seen a lot of crochet videos too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmasMom0706
by Val on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I learned about 15 years ago from a book. YouTube makes it so much easier now! Took a lot of patience and a lot of practice but it's worth it. 

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

There are a ton of different patterns..

I taught myself, what I actually suggest to my friends that want to start is learn how to chain first. Do nothing but that. Chain take it apart chain again. Then I start them on Double Crochets and have them do a few rows of that until they are comfortable. Then I move them to the single crochet  until they get comfortable with that. 

I have recently taught one friend to chain and double crochet and she has now figured out how to do an entire blanket on her own :) 

If you don't understand what the different stitches and such are use youtube it is very helpful :) Also redheart.com they have really easy patterns to follow. 

jrobertson20
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Yes I did by watching YouTube videos.  I am a visual learner so that helped a lot. 

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Of course! It took me a few months before I made anything successfully, but it takes time to do something well. I learned with youtube. I never used a pattern. I think it took me about 6 months before I had gotten really good and started selling crocheted character hats. 

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Yes!! I learned with the help of some magazines and YouTube! You have to start simple. I made dish cloths - lots of them!! Each one was one type of stitch. Over and over again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikesmom65270
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I taught myself from a book, long before Youtube or even the Internet.  Tutorials on Youtube should be more helpful than a book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)