Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Does anyone here sell soap?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

Just wondering if anyone in the group sells soaps and body products. I'd love to know what is involved in starting a business and how you go started! Thanks :)

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jennie2263
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Hey there, I don't sell any of it but I do have the recipe for making it and lip gloss too if you want it. You could give it a try and see what you think about it :)

kileys_mommy
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM
I sell Goat's Milk soap and lip balm in my online store.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I don't sell, but I make lotion bars to give as gifts  :)

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM

My husband has a soap shop online - all homemade with natural ingredients. Have you ever made soap before? What kind of soap are you thinking of making? You can get melt-and-pour kits, but IMO glycerin soap isn't nearly as luxurious and yummy as traditional soap.

If you're making traditional soap, look up lye calculators online. You'll need to buy fats (I recommend coconut oil and palm oil as your main fats, and whatever other ones you want to use - avocado oil, olive oil, shea butter, hemp butter, etc), lye (you have to get this from a soap supply store, so check what you have available in your area), and whatever scents and additives you want (make sure they are body-safe!!!). Look up recipes online and try a few small batches first. If you have a soap shop, ask what they recommend and see if they do workshops!

You'll also need molds (either plastic molds or make your own boxes to cut sliced bars from), a digital scale, several bowls and containers, a stick blender, and a rubber spatula.

Look up tutorials online - there are a TON. 

As for other bath and body stuff, I've seen a lot of recipes for lip balm and other makeup. You can get bases for lotion and body oils you can customize the scents for.

Good luck!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM
I don't sell soap but I have been selling online for three years and have almost ten years in marketing and PR if you need some help getting your business off the ground! :) feel free to PM with specific questions. :)
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM
I don't sell soap but I have been selling online for three years and have almost ten years in marketing and PR if you need some help getting your business off the ground! :) feel free to PM with specific questions. :)
RutterMama
by Tia on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Congrats on the new venture!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinab313
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Brieshon:

My husband has a soap shop online - all homemade with natural ingredients. Have you ever made soap before? What kind of soap are you thinking of making? You can get melt-and-pour kits, but IMO glycerin soap isn't nearly as luxurious and yummy as traditional soap.

If you're making traditional soap, look up lye calculators online. You'll need to buy fats (I recommend coconut oil and palm oil as your main fats, and whatever other ones you want to use - avocado oil, olive oil, shea butter, hemp butter, etc), lye (you have to get this from a soap supply store, so check what you have available in your area), and whatever scents and additives you want (make sure they are body-safe!!!). Look up recipes online and try a few small batches first. If you have a soap shop, ask what they recommend and see if they do workshops!

You'll also need molds (either plastic molds or make your own boxes to cut sliced bars from), a digital scale, several bowls and containers, a stick blender, and a rubber spatula.

Look up tutorials online - there are a TON. 

As for other bath and body stuff, I've seen a lot of recipes for lip balm and other makeup. You can get bases for lotion and body oils you can customize the scents for.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I have actually been making soap for quite a while now. I have made some other things too like lotion bars and salves. I give most of it away but I have been wondering how difficult it would be to start selling on a small scale. Like maybe just Etsy (I sold on Etsy for a short while before my 2nd kid was born).  

christinab313
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Thanks! I'll PM you if I think of anything specific. I'm curious about things like getting a license, needing insurance, and whether it would be worthwhile to aim small- just make it a part time thing so that I can continue if/when go back to work when the kids go back to school (it would also be part time). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)