Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Quilting machine

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hey everyone! I want to start quilting, what is a decent quilting machine that is affordable and practical?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
-JC-
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Honestly, you don't need one. Especially if you're just starting out. 

I love to quilt. I machine sew my pieces together then quilt with my regular sewing machine. I haven't had any issues yet and I've been doing it for almost three years this way. Sure, it can get bulky when I'm doing queens but hofor anything twin sized or smaller, it's just fine. 

cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Not sure but have been seeing lots about free motion quilting
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Check out Leah Day Designs - she has some awesome free information on her site and she does all her quilting on a sit down machine.  I bought a Grace Machine Quilter's Pro frame and Juki machine about 4 years ago and have used it enough that I feel it has paid for itself, but I also have it set up in my basement and it basically takes up 1 room.  The frame is 10" wide for king size quilts.  You can set it up for a smaller size, but for me, I wanted it left stationary for whatever size I chose.  I have to say, if I could afford an 18" throat machine I would buy it, but they are just too pricey for me.  The Juki allows about a 4" pattern path because even though you can start out larger than that, by the time you roll up the quilt as you finish the quilting, you only have enough room to move the machine 4" deep at the end.  Look for patterns that are quilt as you go, they are a great way to start out making quilts and you can do them on your regular machine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)