Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I turned a craft hobby into a business!

Posted by   + Show Post

This isn't an ad, just my story:)

A few months ago I started thinking about making candles with bracelet charms hidden in them. I didn't tell many people about it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the ultimate leap. I'm a full time graduate student with a job, a 3 year old, and a husband. I would dream about my candles and it's all I could talk about to my husband. He finally got sick of my wishing/hoping/dreaming and told me to go for it.

Now I have a trademarked, licensed business. I work and go to school and don't go to bed until 3-4am. I'm exhausted, happy, and we're doing pretty well, having recently sold our 1000th candle!

I won't post the business page here because again, this isn't an ad. Just my brief story behind the launch of Tiny Trinket Candles. If you have a dream of any kind you should go for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Replies (41-50):
abstractmommy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Hey you ;)

Quoting .shank.:

That's where you've been! Congrats :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I got my start through a facebook group full of ladies who love candles and talking about them, it snowballed from there! It's a good free place to start, do a facebook search for groups that like the products she makes/sells.

Quoting Breviewed:

How do you market your business?  I'm trying to help my daughter promote her designs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM
We make them in batches, and up until recently they've all been hand decorated by me! Now that's still an option but it slows doen production time. If customers want the candles faster they can choose a simple label instead.

I was a big fan of candles with rings or necklaces that other companies made, but I noticed there were people saving up forever to buy just one. Plus there was nothing for charm lovers. So I made affordable candles with bracelet charms and they were a quick hit. I sold 200ish candles the first week!

Quoting happydays62:

They are totally awesome .  How long it take to make them .   And what made you decide to make these.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay I just prayed to God about Decorating because I studied Interior Decorating amongst other things and I am exhausted tonight after dinner and watching the ball drop for 2013 Celebration on tv and I told God I want this decorating career badly, all of it...decorating windows in stores, crafting, decorating spaces, I want it and then you say go for it..go for your dreams....there are no coincidences in life so I am going for it................I just love it!!!!! Thank you so much and Congratulations on you business endeavors and successesssssssssssss I am sure you will come up with even more great ideas to expand upon....lots of orders and lots of requests= lots of profits and also lots of work but it is great to do what you love.80s pink

abstractmommy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
It's cheesy but it's true that a dream is a wish your heart makes! Go for it, that way you'll always be able to say you lived your dream! I wish you much success. 2013 will be your year!

Quoting EDDES:

Okay I just prayed to God about Decorating because I studied Interior Decorating amongst other things and I am exhausted tonight after dinner and watching the ball drop for 2013 Celebration on tv and I told God I want this decorating career badly, all of it...decorating windows in stores, crafting, decorating spaces, I want it and then you say go for it..go for your dreams....there are no coincidences in life so I am going for it................I just love it!!!!! Thank you so much and Congratulations on you business endeavors and successesssssssssssss I am sure you will come up with even more great ideas to expand upon....lots of orders and lots of requests= lots of profits and also lots of work but it is great to do what you love.80s pink

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

cat Thank you very much!!!! I will.chickpuppysewing

ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I seen that and replied to her. :)

Quoting abstractmommy:

There is someone in this post looking for an illustrator too!

Quoting ms-superwoman:

That is great news! I have always dreamed of being an illustrator. I am not even out of college and I already have my first job, illustrating a children's book!

MissElissa21
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Those are great! I bet they smell fantastic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

What site do you sell on?

happydays62
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That is just totally awesome  that you have that kind of talent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)