Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

When to start a business

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi everyone! I love crafts! Me and my husband talked about starting our own business. How do I get started? Should I create my own site or go on esty until I get out there enough to start my own site?
Any information would help. Thank you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissElissa21
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM
storenvy is free and customizable if you are interested in starting an online business. You should look up the small business laws in your area when you are considering starting one up.
melliburger
by Melli on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Check out irs.gov website to see what your state and area requires as far as taxes and starting a business.

I would use Storenvy to host your selling site first. It's 100% free and has no fees associated with it (besides paypal fees),a nd you can customize it completely. You can also make your own site if you want. Otherwise you could do a blog, facebook, twitter, wanelo, instagram, pinterest, and there are so many other things you can do in addition to just having the store :)

mama_girl07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this

i started on facebook first and it has really taken off with jsut word of mouth. I am afraid to move into a real site because I am barely able to keep up with orders now.

mama_girl07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I may get a business license this yr depending on how business goes.

jryberg
by Jaime on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

you do need to check out local laws for businesses! as far as where to sell people have lots of different reasons to use each of the sites. There are a number of posts on here about starting a business you might use the search function to check for those posts. 

ShelMama
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Yes do check your city/state regulations. Many require an in home business license for tax reasons. It can be tricky. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USD2012
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Facebook is the best way to start it... there are plenty of crafty ones there... (check out blossom, cotton creations etc on FB) checking all local small business laws is good too. Good Luck

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Good Luck 

anotherandree
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My dog treat business officially went under yesterday.  It was open for 6 months.  I am not telling you this to discourage you, but just know that it takes times, patience, and even after that, sometimes it still does not work.

Everone said, "Oh, I love your dog treats, you are SO creative with them!  You should open your own business!"  I created a website and went to it.  I didn't invest much and enjoyed my time, which is the big picture!  It was a lesson learned.  Also, I learned which treats my own dog liked and didn't! :)

mama_girl07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I have a crochet business. I make custom order hats mostly.

Quoting 1269u:

Ma-ma girl07,

Would you mind telling us what type of business you run?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)