Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

How do you do it?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm going absolutely nuts.  I have absolutely NO organization when it comes to my craft projects.  I have sooooo many I want to get done.  They are all either half done and set aside, forgotten, or I just want to do them.  How in the world do you ladies do it?  How do you organize all of you projects to make sure they get done?  I've made it a New Years Resolution of mine to get organized in that aspect and get my current list done before starting on a new one.

I know some people use notebooks, but I lose those to the kids, or just lose them in general.  Some people use calendars, but mine is so full it's stupid.  And some people create a list and hang it up, but I'm not sure if that would work for me or not.

Any ideas ladies?  I'm stuck and frustrated!  Lol

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
perfect01
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Most of my craft supplies are in a closet in 1 room, so I make a list every year of UFO's (unfinished objects, lol) and want to makes.  I try to list no more than 12 on that so that I don't overwhelm myself.  Then everytime I am tempted to get out another project, I look at the list and choose one to do.  I make a check off box to the left of the list cuz I just love checking things off!  If I have bought something specific or want some specific materials for a particular project, I use the Artbin double satchel storage containers to hold it all with the pattern or the picture on top of everything so I can see it when I am looking and know what project it is.  I buy the satchels on sale.  Or cheaper, if it is fabric for quilts, I have in the past gone to our local pizza place and bought for pennies a few of the large to go boxes and stored in them.

SamKlug
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Might have to try the checklist!  I really like the box with the picture idea!  That is awesome!  Now to try to find some room.  Lol

Quoting perfect01:

Most of my craft supplies are in a closet in 1 room, so I make a list every year of UFO's (unfinished objects, lol) and want to makes.  I try to list no more than 12 on that so that I don't overwhelm myself.  Then everytime I am tempted to get out another project, I look at the list and choose one to do.  I make a check off box to the left of the list cuz I just love checking things off!  If I have bought something specific or want some specific materials for a particular project, I use the Artbin double satchel storage containers to hold it all with the pattern or the picture on top of everything so I can see it when I am looking and know what project it is.  I buy the satchels on sale.  Or cheaper, if it is fabric for quilts, I have in the past gone to our local pizza place and bought for pennies a few of the large to go boxes and stored in them.

MrsSexyCurtains
by Jasmine on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Hey! How are you? I haven't seen you around in a while. I honestly suck at organization so here's a bump lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Another way to make sure you work on one every month is to start a UFO Projects thread on here and everyone who needs to get something done posts what they are doing for the month, then you have an accountability for getting it done.  Post pics when finished.  The pats on the back and oohs and aahs are a nice incentive to get it done, lol!

Quoting SamKlug:

Might have to try the checklist!  I really like the box with the picture idea!  That is awesome!  Now to try to find some room.  Lol

Quoting perfect01:

SamKlug
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Hey!  Been working 7 fricken days a week!  I'm going nuts!  Lol

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Hey! How are you? I haven't seen you around in a while. I honestly suck at organization so here's a bump lol

mommytohuddy
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

hmm.. I don't haha :)

I am still working on organizing my new craft space. But I have put a large crate on the bottom of my big shelf for unfinished projects. I don't have a lot of time for crafting right now, but I am trying to grab something out of that box when I do have time.

I use a big dry erase board to keep up with my list of things to get done. It is mainly filled with my freelance work and housework right now. But I am hoping to see a little crafting on there soon.

Anniea90
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Lots of containers and baggies and boxes lol. Lots of labels. and I have a bag that has nothing but "works in progress" in it, so I can keep up with what I am working on.

SamKlug
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Never would have thought of a dry erase board!  Good idea!

Quoting mommytohuddy:

hmm.. I don't haha :)

I am still working on organizing my new craft space. But I have put a large crate on the bottom of my big shelf for unfinished projects. I don't have a lot of time for crafting right now, but I am trying to grab something out of that box when I do have time.

I use a big dry erase board to keep up with my list of things to get done. It is mainly filled with my freelance work and housework right now. But I am hoping to see a little crafting on there soon.

SamKlug
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Everything I have is literally everywhere.  It's crazy organized chaos.  Lol.  As soon as mom and dad move out in the spring, I will have room to do as I please.  In the mean time I need at least some sort of work in progress organization.  Lol

Quoting Anniea90:

Lots of containers and baggies and boxes lol. Lots of labels. and I have a bag that has nothing but "works in progress" in it, so I can keep up with what I am working on.

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I just try not to start another project until the one I'm currently working on is done. I hate having unfinished stuff laying around.

I also keep a journal of what I want to do, what I have done, and an designs that interest me, and since I do a lot of off the loom bead weaving, I also have a notebook of grid paper that I have started putting new designs in. (I draw them in myself)

However, my craft room looks like a unorganized mess to anybody who doesn't know my system (which is just about anybody besides me). I have jars, medicine bottles and containers with all sorts of beds, findings and wires in, I however know where everything is. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)