Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Need some help *UPDATE FINISHED!!!!!*

Posted by   + Show Post

I am starting a new crochet afghan and I am having issues. I am only on the third row and it isn't working out....not sure what I am doing wrong...this is getting frustrating

frustrated

02/24/13 Just finished this for my mom.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I worked up a test swatch (same pattern, less # of repeated shells). The first 4 rows looked really wonky. It started taking shape after the 5th row, but still seems funky - like I have to smooth it out to get it to lie flat and it is still kinda loose looking in places. I think I followed the pattern right, lol.

I think the second row (and other even rows) are just single crocheting across. I'm not sure why they wrote it out like that, unless they were just trying to point out that you have to remember to sc in the chain stitches between the trbtrb stitches. :-/

If you want to do a test swatch like I did, just chain 29 (I think) and follow the pattern without repeating the shells as much.

Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jamielynn0709
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Holy cow! Not fair! Ehat was happening to me was when i got to the third row to do my next set of shells, they weren't in the "valley" like they are suppose to be.

Quoting Brieshon:

I worked up a test swatch (same pattern, less # of repeated shells). The first 4 rows looked really wonky. It started taking shape after the 5th row, but still seems funky - like I have to smooth it out to get it to lie flat and it is still kinda loose looking in places. I think I followed the pattern right, lol.

I think the second row (and other even rows) are just single crocheting across. I'm not sure why they wrote it out like that, unless they were just trying to point out that you have to remember to sc in the chain stitches between the trbtrb stitches. :-/

If you want to do a test swatch like I did, just chain 29 (I think) and follow the pattern without repeating the shells as much.

Good luck!
jamielynn0709
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
So basically the second or all the even rows i am just doing a sc all the across and not skipping any stitches?

Quoting Brieshon:

Good luck!
Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM
That's how I did it. :)

Quoting jamielynn0709:

So basically the second or all the even rows i am just doing a sc all the across and not skipping any stitches?

Quoting Brieshon:

Good luck!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Count, count and count your stitches again:-). To make sure you are working your stitch in the correct spot, it sometimes helps, until you get the hang of the pattern, to use a safety pin to mark your spot for the next stitch. Unless the pattern specifies otherwise, I was taught to always make the stitch in both top loops. Don't get discouraged and happy crocheting!

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

You inspired me! This is a similar concept, but with triple crochets instead of triple-triple, only 4 st per shell (so skipping less stitches), and alternating colors. :)
jamielynn0709
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

wahoo nice!!! good job...I haven't had a chance to go back to mine and re-work yet.

Quoting Brieshon:

You inspired me! This is a similar concept, but with triple crochets instead of triple-triple, only 4 st per shell (so skipping less stitches), and alternating colors. :)

jamielynn0709
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

ANGELS ARE SINGING!!!! I figured out what I was doing wrong! When making my shells, I was doing the trtr, ch 1 six times but I was not doing my 7 trtr stitch without the ch1. Thanks for your help!!

Quoting Brieshon:

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Just wondering how your project was going! :)
jamielynn0709
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

How is your variation of it going?

Quoting Brieshon:

Just wondering how your project was going! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)