Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay new to all of this...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay I am new to all of this.  I got the idea this morning after going to Monday morning bible study to take up crocheting.  All the ladies knit and make prayer shawls which I think is cool and I will eventually get to that and helping others and all that but I figure I will try crocheting first.  My first thing I want to make is a hat for dd and a new blanket for her since she is going to be 4 years old so we can get rid of the old night night and an afghan for my dad.  I am so nervous.  After I get these two things done I will get making those prayer shawls I hope...Just really scared about not doing this right, etc....

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Check youtube for tutorials to help you get started.  Good luck!  

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Good luck! I recommend starting with small square projects (washcloths, etc) to practice counting stitches and getting your tension even.

YouTube is a great place to start, and once you start reading patterns you can find a TON on ravelry.com! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama_girl07
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What brieshon said ^^^

I tried starting with hats and it was hard.

MissElissa21
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I learned on youtube, and yes, small squares and even round coasters are the best to learn on and then hats are pretty easy to pick up once you have mastered the basic stitches. You really need to have your tension figured out before attempting a blanket! I am sure you will get it! 

superwoman8977
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I am so stupid I  cant even make a chain..so frustrated and I want to do this so badly :( :(

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM
You're sooooo NOT stupid!!! It's hard to figure out at first! Seriously watch YouTube videos (there are a ton, so you can find one that helps you!)

Quoting superwoman8977:

I am so stupid I  cant even make a chain..so frustrated and I want to do this so badly :( :(

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM

You're not stupid. It took me almost 10 years to learn more than a chain and quite a while to learn to do that. It can be harder to learn if you are left handed because most crocheters are right handed so most tutorials teach righthanded...if you are left handed you have to do everything backwards.

Quoting superwoman8977:

DaiTilley
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Best of luck! The best YouTube tutorials I've found are from Crochet Geek... She's awesome and does a lot of slo-mo sections so you can see exactly what she's showing!
lilmami316
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

hye i was  in the same  boat  as you and  i asked a similar question  and  you can read the replies  one  of the ladies gave a really good guy to check out  so please look hes  also helping me  learn and i got  down the  chains  just not the rest  yet gl  it wont let  me  post the lunk but  itsa in this group and  the title  is  ? about crocheting  eta please look at  it and  ill go bump it for you real fast

krystlbear_84
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Good Luck

Don't Just Stand There....SCRAP Something!
krystlbear's Corner
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)