Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe
my son has sensory processing disorder. we are working with an ot to help him learn to cope but there's a few places he just cannot handle still. for example this morning he wore his gun hearing protection in church during the worship music.
but people stare and he gets embarrassed. they ask him what he is listening to because they think they are headphones.
I need a way to disguise them!
any brilliant ideas? he's 5.5 and has a big head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I might try downsizing: earbuds or swimming ear plugs?

As for disguising those: maybe paint them or make covers for them (like pooh or ??? Ironman).  It sounds like it would make them more noticable, but I'm talking about turning them into an accessory.  Maybe make covers for them that coordinate to his outfits/ where he's going.

Kathy112761
by Kathy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Awww, what a little cutie. Sorry I don't have any ideas for you but I'm sure one of the brilliant ladies here will be able to help you out.

Oleary1024
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
How about a tee shirt that says " Don't stare ask my Mom" I have a little one with some sensory issues who tends to be a little...rambunctious in public and I just smile and loudly remind my children that staring is very rude and if they are ever curious about something they should politely ask.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Have you tried the swim plugs. They block out a lot of noise and are less noticeable. You can also get a band that goes around them it helps to keep them in and blocks out water and sound. It's called ear bandits. Just got my son one because he just got tubes. The plugs come in brights colors or you can get them clear.

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

He can't handle things in his ears either :(

Quoting Jessiejack:

Have you tried the swim plugs. They block out a lot of noise and are less noticeable. You can also get a band that goes around them it helps to keep them in and blocks out water and sound. It's called ear bandits. Just got my son one because he just got tubes. The plugs come in brights colors or you can get them clear.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
annasew
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

are you sure they aren't staring because he is so cute?  lol.   I wouldnt worry about covering them.   Some people will stare anyway because they are rude and lack manners.   Just ignore those people.   Your son is a handsome little guy.

Holycropmom
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I see grown up guys walking around with them on I don't see any problem with them if he likes to do it let him put stickers on them to bling them up & show them off will make him feel good about wearing them or give him a pen & let people sign them in different colors even or even dry erase markers.  Make it fun if he likes them that much take away the stress or embarrassment by making it fun for him. I use to be a para in elementary school & this is awesome that he likes something so simple even though people around him are stun by the sight of him wearing them around. The important thing is if the headphones make him happy so Dazzle them up for him! Hugs! 

XVAmomma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I was also thinking hat but those are big and you might still get stares if he is allow to wear a hat in a place were tipically hats are frown upon (like church).

Is he able to use a different kind that maybe is smaller? Or can he wear it with the "headband" towards the back? I am just trying to figure out other ways to hide it.

I will probably dream about it 2nite...I can stand when ppl are insensitive...especially to kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I understand the embarassement too. Just thought this approach may help.

Quoting critter_boo:

I agree with this but I also understand his embarssement I hate that people stare at everything

Quoting warmcoffee:

I think people should get a life. 

Do you think there is a way to make the congregation aware so that they will stop staring and making your son feel uncomfortable. Geesh, you would think that they would even go to the Pastor for understanding and clarification instead of staring at him. 

Maybe someone should 'preach and/or teach' about the many different types of 'sheep' that come into the fold, with pamphlets and booklets that help them understand (pointing out different disorders that people deal with that may or may not be as easily recognizable -  including persons in wheelchairs or using walkers, people with diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, being bi-polar, being autistic, etc.) - this 'sermon' along with informational packets will help 'people' to understand that everyone is not like them and God is no respecter of persons but loves us all and if we love Him, we will show Him, and not staring, is a part of showing that love. 

warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

He is such a cutie!! And I guess it would be harder for other children to understand. Is it possible that there is a smaller apparatus that could be used to quiet the noise for him. The reason I bring it up is because I attended a workshop where there was a person there who was hard of hearing and he had a smaller appliance that served the same purpose of keeping noise away as he was learning how to hear again. He'd had an operation to help bring his hearing back and this apparatus toned down unnecessary noises so he could hear what people were saying to him. I know that your sons diagnosis is different, just thought another method could be used. I'm not in that workshop anymore, so I would not know who to ask about it. Maybe his doctor may be of assistance. I do wish both of you the best and hope a better method can be found.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

see the problem?  LOL

maybe this will be of assistance:

www.amazon,com/dp/B00149DR5G/?tag=nhte-20  -- It's called Sensgard Hearing Protector

www.noisehelp.com/zem-hearing-protection.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN