Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Just recently I have decided to start sewing. As a hobby. I used to a long time ago with my mom. but now I am solo and need advice..What is a good starter sewing machine? 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (11-16):
Mrs.Greco
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I had a newer singer that I broke as well... :/
You can't go wrong with the old workhorses.

Quoting MissElissa21:

The singers and brothers are good to learn if you've never sewn before. If you already know what you are doing and want the machine to last a long time, get a better machine. I have a machine from the 60's/70's, and it works 50x better than the singer I just smashed into a million pieces! The older machines don't have as many stitches, but the stitches they do have work wonderfully every time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christydwiggins
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I have a Brother from Wal Mart. It was $80. When we move to our apartment and I get it out of storage I'm going to be sewing more :) 

kgsharber
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Whatever you do, do not get the cheap $80 machines (whether it be SInger or Brother) because they do not work well with certain threads (you have to use the more expensive stuff) I also had trouble with certain fabrics puckering more than usual with them.

I would say as long as you spend $120 you are in the clear. Brother has great refernce manuals and their customer service number is amazing. They have always been able to help me figure out just what the problem was. I would also reccommend NOT using Simplicity patterns, they are the hardest to get down & I have had others tell me the same thing. Good luck!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Walmart is fine but build your stash of fabric with only 100% cotton fabric. It really is easier to work with, stitches aren't prone to skip, seams stretch equally. And learn to use your walking foot. And as budget allows, get a 36 " cutting mat and ruler with rotary cutter. Have fun, I love strip quilting.

perfect01
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I would not buy an $80 new machine - I have never seen one that holds it tension or timing well.  I bought a $300 Singer from Walmart a few years ago and after spending another $150 getting it fixed twice, I got rid of it and bought a good used machine off of Craigs List.  I bought the machine and a ton of fabric for $80, so you might go into a fabric shop that carried quality machines, have then show you some things about them, find out if they have any good used machines in stock, or at least you find out what you like in a machine.

Navy_Wife08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Love my mid range kenmore

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)