Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Hand quilting

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 5 Replies
Hi everyone! I want to start hand quilting and I want to know what would be a easy first project and what pattern. Tell me what was yours... Show me pics! All you crafty ladies are so talented and all of you inspire me I just want to learn all these things for dd so when she grows up I can't teach her. 😄
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM
2 moms liked this

This was my first handquilting project

I don't know the name of it but it was a pillow that was the project for a beginner's class my aunt was teaching at the quilting store. I went on to start a blanket for my son that I have to finish piecing together. I just finished the top a few days ago.

perfect01
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My first hand knitting project was a baby quilt many years ago on a frame. Now, I use a different method where you don't have to frame the quilt. Sharon Schamber has videos that show how to hand quilt and how to just baste the quilt before working on it. I haven't tried a full size quilt since I learned this new method, but I love how the one I posted on your other post turned out. BTW, the best thing I learned was to use a wool bat (they actually have them where they are washable now and don't shrink a ton).  I also use a smaller size (finer) needle so it allows me to do the rocking motion and load stitches better.

Scottishbrat33
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Hand quilting is fun.It gives you the freedom to take it around.I would start with a crazey quilt.I made a number of them.You can be very creative with material and colors. Good luck.

jridgill
by Jennifer on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I love going to quilt shows. I admire the talente ladies who can make them. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM

A quillow or lap quilt, and using a large embroidery hoop as a lap frame. And don't worry about the stitch to inch ratio, just work on getting the stitches even. I was always told the Amish get 12 stitches to the inch, and always leave a mistake in their work, to show respect for knowing that only God does perfect work. Happy stitching,

ps. I got 3-4 stitches/inch when I tried hand quilting, so I am a happy machine quilter. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)