Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Fabric in Oahu

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi there!

We're about to move to Oahu (woo! has anyone been there?) BUT, there's no Joann's, no Hancock's, not even a Hobby Lobby. I saw a fabric shop called The Calico Cat that looks promising, but I'm wondering, are there any good local fabric shops there or am I going to be doing a lot of online shopping?

TIA!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh dear. You poor lady :( On Oahu there are barely any craft stores! There is a Ben Franklin Crafts in Pearl city but it's severely limited and really cramped and dirty looking! And the cost of things there is excessive!

I had to order online a lot. I think you're going ot have to do the same unfortunately unless you can manage to find some newer shops. There may have been a fabric store headed to waikiki but it was always closed when we went by.

Good luck! It's a beautiful place, but I would never want to live there again. We were there for like three years and I was so ready to be gone after the first year.

jryberg
by Jaime on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM

good luck with your move! I think on-line shopping is going to become your new best friend. 

susan115
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I lived there for 4 years, great place.  Loved it.  Clothing is different, looser, flowy, so you won't find many of the same fabrics found on the mainland.  Much more flowery, just wait to you get there and see what they have, pretty fabrics.

aj23
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I've ordered fabric online from a store in Honolulu and I had a friend who lived there go by and pick up some more for me before when he was coming to visit. I wanted to save on shipping :)
The website for it is fmart.com and the store is on Kalakaua Ave. Its called Fabric Mart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anryan
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I lived there for 18 yrs, i would suggest these 2 places, expecially fabric mart

Fabric Mart....
1631 Kalakaua Ave
Honolulu, HI

98 Hekaha St #1
Aiea, HI

June Fabrics

938 Austin Ln
Honolulu, HI

Crazy_Daze
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Haha! I remember you lamenting about Hawaii now, bummer. Well, hopefully there is something to be found there now!

Quoting melliburger:

Oh dear. You poor lady :( On Oahu there are barely any craft stores! There is a Ben Franklin Crafts in Pearl city but it's severely limited and really cramped and dirty looking! And the cost of things there is excessive!

I had to order online a lot. I think you're going ot have to do the same unfortunately unless you can manage to find some newer shops. There may have been a fabric store headed to waikiki but it was always closed when we went by.

Good luck! It's a beautiful place, but I would never want to live there again. We were there for like three years and I was so ready to be gone after the first year.

Crazy_Daze
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I did see Fabric Mart online, but was a bit put off but all the floral (pretty, but there's a LOT it seems). I won't write it off yet, I'll wait and see what it's like in person. I can't wait to check them all out!

melliburger
by Melli on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Hopefully there is! What side of the island are you moving too?

Quoting Crazy_Daze:

Haha! I remember you lamenting about Hawaii now, bummer. Well, hopefully there is something to be found there now!

Quoting melliburger:

SamKlug
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I've never been there before, but it sounds like a lot of online shopping is going to be your friend.  Lol.  I'll tell ya what though, if I was ever there, the first thing I would do would be to hunt down Leland Chapman for big ol hug and kiss!  Lmao!

Crazy_Daze
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We'll be in Kaneohe Bay.

Quoting melliburger

Hopefully there is! What side of the island are you moving too?

Quoting Crazy_Daze:

Quoting melliburger:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)