Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you start up your shop?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
I make different things, and I just can't seem to motivate myself to open a shop, or try to sell. I lack self confidence, and I mostly think friends and family tell me my stuff is nice just to be nice.

So, did you just do it or did it take awhile to convince yourself?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissElissa21
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I tried not to sell for a long time. Then I just kept getting people interested and having to do a lot of work organizing fabrics and things for people to look at, it is just easier to have them all in one spot. I opened a Storenvy store and haven't had any sales from the store, but it makes sales from FB or in person easier to organize. The_monster_mom has great info on starting with storenvy if you check out her blog.
TR3SSI3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I keep hearing about store envy, that its free unlike etsy. I haven't looked much further into it though. Do you think it's not popular or they just have less traffic than etsy?

How do you sell on fb? Is it under your regular name or do you have a separate one?

Quoting MissElissa21:

I tried not to sell for a long time. Then I just kept getting people interested and having to do a lot of work organizing fabrics and things for people to look at, it is just easier to have them all in one spot. I opened a Storenvy store and haven't had any sales from the store, but it makes sales from FB or in person easier to organize. The_monster_mom has great info on starting with storenvy if you check out her blog.

kileys_mommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
The complete strangers coming up to my daughter in public to compliment her on her tutu or hat I made her convinced me to open my shop. I was also getting requests from friends and family through Facebook.
billssweety
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I made a few hats for my husband to match shirts he wears, he works at a school and we like to get cute stuff the kids like....so while making 1 a friend of my SIL ordered one, then someone asked if I could do an owl, then someone else saw that and ordered one....so I decided lets see if I can make a business out of this, I opened my store 9/18 and between then and 12/21 I made $1800.....so it was worth it!  I started with a FB page, my business I came up with was Cynderella's Caps because I make hats and my nick name as a kids was Cynderella, I later opened a storenvy.  I have sold very few items through storenvy, but since it is free doesn't hurt to have that outlet there for possible sales!

TR3SSI3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM
That is great! So most of your sales is word of mouth and Facebook, I was trying to try out store envy or etsy, but seems like store envy doesn't have much traffic. Is your Facebook under your name or your business?

Quoting billssweety:

I made a few hats for my husband to match shirts he wears, he works at a school and we like to get cute stuff the kids like....so while making 1 a friend of my SIL ordered one, then someone asked if I could do an owl, then someone else saw that and ordered one....so I decided lets see if I can make a business out of this, I opened my store 9/18 and between then and 12/21 I made $1800.....so it was worth it!  I started with a FB page, my business I came up with was Cynderella's Caps because I make hats and my nick name as a kids was Cynderella, I later opened a storenvy.  I have sold very few items through storenvy, but since it is free doesn't hurt to have that outlet there for possible sales!

TR3SSI3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Is your store open on fb or another website?

Quoting kileys_mommy:

The complete strangers coming up to my daughter in public to compliment her on her tutu or hat I made her convinced me to open my shop. I was also getting requests from friends and family through Facebook.

billssweety
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Storenvy is getting more popular, we just need to get the word out like I'm sure etsy did at one point.  I have a business FB page and on that I also have a link to my storenvy page.

Quoting TR3SSI3:

That is great! So most of your sales is word of mouth and Facebook, I was trying to try out store envy or etsy, but seems like store envy doesn't have much traffic. Is your Facebook under your name or your business?

Quoting billssweety:

kileys_mommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I have a shop on Hyena Cart, and a fan page for my shop on FB.

Quoting TR3SSI3:

Is your store open on fb or another website?

Quoting kileys_mommy:

MissElissa21
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM
It's free. It's a little less known, but it's getting bigger and more traffic. Take a look at some of the stores on there. I have a seperate fb name, it needs to be very active for lots of traffic. I don't want a ton of attention at the moment, so I don't do a lot of the things you really need to do to get the traffic and sales. There is a lot of unseen work that goes into running a successful store.

Quoting TR3SSI3:

I keep hearing about store envy, that its free unlike etsy. I haven't looked much further into it though. Do you think it's not popular or they just have less traffic than etsy?

How do you sell on fb? Is it under your regular name or do you have a separate one?

Quoting MissElissa21:

MissElissa21
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Facebook has a lot of rules about being a business page on there. They are not a place to sell items, it's more a place to talk to people and get them shopping in your store and following your business. The people there want to ooh and ahh and ask questions, they go to you or your store to actually purchase.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)