Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

I have a question for those of you who sell

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 10 Replies
My friend and I were planning on making some handbags among other things to sell at craft fairs. Do you think between $35 and $40 is fair? They are cloth and fully lined with pockets and the handles are padded.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brieshon
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Depends on the complexity, size, material, skill, etc... Do you have pics?
dizzy77702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don't have pics except on my phone but the bag measures about 15x17 finished, has five pleats in the front and back, two pockets on the inside but I can make more.  Each bag takes me about 2 1/2 hours to make so it is a bit time consuming.  I've thought about going on storenvy and seeing what other people are selling them for.  I mean I want to be able to make a profit and get paid for my time too.

Quoting Brieshon:

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Yes, I would look on storenvy and test for similar items. The general rule I've seen I'd to charge 2-4x the price of materials, depending on complexity of the item.

Quoting dizzy77702:

I don't have pics except on my phone but the bag measures about 15x17 finished, has five pleats in the front and back, two pockets on the inside but I can make more.  Each bag takes me about 2 1/2 hours to make so it is a bit time consuming.  I've thought about going on storenvy and seeing what other people are selling them for.  I mean I want to be able to make a profit and get paid for my time too.

Quoting Brieshon:

dizzy77702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Ok, thanks. The only similar item I found on storenvy sold for $38. The rest of the handbags looked like they came from a store. A lot of what sells on storenvy and etsy is not handmade.

Quoting Brieshon:

Yes, I would look on storenvy and test for similar items. The general rule I've seen I'd to charge 2-4x the price of materials, depending on complexity of the item.

Quoting dizzy77702:

Quoting Brieshon:

MissElissa21
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Pictures please :) I think it's a fair price from what I've read, but seeing it would reall help. You can set up a special email through cafemom to upload pictures from your phone and post them.
dizzy77702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Handbag

This is the Maxine bag I made for myself. The other bags would be using what I already have in my stash including some really cute breast cancer ribbon fabric.
warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That Maxine is something else, LOL!  Cute bag :)

dizzy77702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Thanks. She cracks me up.

Quoting warmcoffee:

That Maxine is something else, LOL!  Cute bag :)

Missy5326
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Love it. I would pay that price. Dont forget to include shipping in your price. Good luck!
melliburger
by Melli on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It sounds good for how many thing pockets and stuff it has!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN