Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Hi there *questions*

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

My name is Megan, I am new.  I joined because I have always loved crafts.  My mother taught me to knit when I was a teenager and I loved it, recently I decided to start crocheting and to dabble in jewelry making.  When I had my son I decided I wanted to start making ring slings and cloth wipes, maybe even cloth diapers.  The only issue with this is that these require me to sew and other than home ec in school I have never used a sewing machine.  So I was wondering what the experts would recommend?  I want something that will be good, but I also don't want to spend a ridiculous amount, but I know nothing about sewing machines or what "features" are good to have and what is unnecessary lol.  Can anyone help?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Brieshon
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM
There are a few options. Since you are inexperienced with a sewing machine, you probably don't want to spend a ton. However, if you get a cheap machine and really get into sewing, you'll probably have to replace it with a nicer one.

You can usually get a basic Singer or Brother machine for under $100. Some people have no problems, but I hear a lot of people complain that the machines jam easily and wear out quickly with heavy use.

Another option is to find a used one on Craigslist. Older machines (pre-1980?) are very sturdy, but need a bit more upkeep.

If/when you're ready to upgrade, expect to spend 300-500 on a Viking (I loooooove mine!) or other higher end brand.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jryberg
by Jaime on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Welcome to the group - I second Brieshon's comments about the sewing machine options for a beginner.  I have a Brother and love it - it is a more expensive one but am happy my hubby splerged a little when he got if for me for Christmas.

ChWuGu
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

ok maybe I should also ask, what shouldn't I buy?  I just looked at sewing machines again and I am seeing all these mini singer or brother sewing machines.  Is small bad for what I want to do?  They also say things like, "for basic sewing or hemming" that sounds limiting, but idk

Quoting Brieshon:

There are a few options. Since you are inexperienced with a sewing machine, you probably don't want to spend a ton. However, if you get a cheap machine and really get into sewing, you'll probably have to replace it with a nicer one.

You can usually get a basic Singer or Brother machine for under $100. Some people have no problems, but I hear a lot of people complain that the machines jam easily and wear out quickly with heavy use.

Another option is to find a used one on Craigslist. Older machines (pre-1980?) are very sturdy, but need a bit more upkeep.

If/when you're ready to upgrade, expect to spend 300-500 on a Viking (I loooooove mine!) or other higher end brand.

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM
If you're planning to do it as a business, I'd only get a cheap or mini one if you plan to upgrade later. They are made mostly of plastic and wear out quickly (the more expensive ones are mostly metal parts). If you have a friend or family member who will let you borrow one for a few months, you can learn the basics (or decide it's not what you want to spend your money on) before dropping a lot of $. :)

Quoting ChWuGu:

ok maybe I should also ask, what shouldn't I buy?  I just looked at sewing machines again and I am seeing all these mini singer or brother sewing machines.  Is small bad for what I want to do?  They also say things like, "for basic sewing or hemming" that sounds limiting, but idk

Quoting Brieshon:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChWuGu
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I just want to do it for fun and for my sisters kids and stuff, but if I get good enough to sell them then hey, I wont turn down a buyer lol

Quoting Brieshon:

If you're planning to do it as a business, I'd only get a cheap or mini one if you plan to upgrade later. They are made mostly of plastic and wear out quickly (the more expensive ones are mostly metal parts). If you have a friend or family member who will let you borrow one for a few months, you can learn the basics (or decide it's not what you want to spend your money on) before dropping a lot of $. :)

Quoting ChWuGu:

Quoting Brieshon:

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Amazon has some really good deals right now. I got a $300 dollar singer for 165. My parents got me a cheaper machine for Christmas just over 2 years ago. And it died...I sew 4-5 days a week (or more). I would recomend, if you really get into sewing, Husqvarna or Viking for machines but they are more expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)