Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Decided to try crocheting again!

Posted by   + Show Post

I tried crocheting when I was pregnant with dd but it didn't really work out. I'm thinking of trying again, so hopefully soon I'll have some pics to show off :) If anyone has any suggestions on easy projects, or any other tips for getting started, that would be great too, thanks!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
SamKlug
by Sammie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Lol!  Yup, I will never let anyone buy that book.  If they want to learn, I'm more than willing to show them, or send them to youtube.  I still need to look up abbreviations every now and then.  Right before I started making my hats I had to look up the HDC.  Glad I did.  I swear with every new stitch I learn, it opens up soooo many more possibilities and I love it!

Quoting jrobertson20:

My mom crochets as well (she's right handed and I am left handed so I decided to teach myself) and she had zero idea what the patterns even meant!!!!!

Quoting SamKlug:

I think I got that same exact book!  It was not helpful at all!  I went as far as getting ahold of the company and let them know how bad it was.  My grandmother has been crocheting for years and even she didn't like the book.  Lol!

Quoting jrobertson20:

Just get cheap stuff for your first few projects.  I got Red Heart yarn.  And most patterns (at least I found anyway) use an H (5.0) or an I (5.5) hook.  I got a book to help me learn to crochet that came with hooks.  But I don't recommend it as the book was not helpful at all!!!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

You tube tutorials.  I taught myself (when I was pregnant...lol) this past summer.  After watching youtube I understood everything so much better.  Crochet geek is a good one to look up.  After I got the basic stitches down I watched tutorials on how to do other things like hats and flowers.  Good luck!!!

Thanks! Did you choose a specific type of yarn or needle when you first started?

LilTymomma
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

you an do swatches which are just " samples of the stitches like 4x4 you know to practice the stitch. Hooks I would say 5 or 5.5 m  I think is very common and yan size 4 or worsted weigth pretty basic and  common and you can use it for those amazing projects as well. would say get a book they all explain all te basic and yarn etc,.. They also, come with beginners patterns s you can make and have actually something to wear out of your hard work! Good luck! be patient  with practice youll be doig great workin no time (well it does take time to make something but you now what i mean)

also, have to add that ppl are right somtimes you gotta see how is done, but the book explain the basics of crochet. 

Love Always,

Angel

typing

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks so much for all your help (and everyone else's) hopefully i'll be back soon to show off what I've done :)

Quoting LilTymomma:

you an do swatches which are just " samples of the stitches like 4x4 you know to practice the stitch. Hooks I would say 5 or 5.5 m  I think is very common and yan size 4 or worsted weigth pretty basic and  common and you can use it for those amazing projects as well. would say get a book they all explain all te basic and yarn etc,.. They also, come with beginners patterns s you can make and have actually something to wear out of your hard work! Good luck! be patient  with practice youll be doig great workin no time (well it does take time to make something but you now what i mean)

also, have to add that ppl are right somtimes you gotta see how is done, but the book explain the basics of crochet. 

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM

i tried geting a book and it was pretty hard to follow, so i'll probably just head to youtube lol. but its nice to know that if i can come here for help too :)

Quoting SamKlug:

Lol!  Yup, I will never let anyone buy that book.  If they want to learn, I'm more than willing to show them, or send them to youtube.  I still need to look up abbreviations every now and then.  Right before I started making my hats I had to look up the HDC.  Glad I did.  I swear with every new stitch I learn, it opens up soooo many more possibilities and I love it!

Quoting jrobertson20:

My mom crochets as well (she's right handed and I am left handed so I decided to teach myself) and she had zero idea what the patterns even meant!!!!!

Quoting SamKlug:

I think I got that same exact book!  It was not helpful at all!  I went as far as getting ahold of the company and let them know how bad it was.  My grandmother has been crocheting for years and even she didn't like the book.  Lol!

Quoting jrobertson20:

Just get cheap stuff for your first few projects.  I got Red Heart yarn.  And most patterns (at least I found anyway) use an H (5.0) or an I (5.5) hook.  I got a book to help me learn to crochet that came with hooks.  But I don't recommend it as the book was not helpful at all!!!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

You tube tutorials.  I taught myself (when I was pregnant...lol) this past summer.  After watching youtube I understood everything so much better.  Crochet geek is a good one to look up.  After I got the basic stitches down I watched tutorials on how to do other things like hats and flowers.  Good luck!!!

Thanks! Did you choose a specific type of yarn or needle when you first started?

tanper29
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Youtube is a really good place to start. I taught myself from reading books. I go to youtube to learn different patterns. I really like crochet geek. My friend gave me a book called Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting. I found lots of useful tips in there. When starting out start with small projects like granny squares or making wash/dish cloths.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamKlug
by Sammie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

The books do make it difficult, IMO.  I like to see what is happening and try to follow.  Just the way they explain it in the books it sounds like a completely different language to me.  Lol.  Yup!  We are always here to help!  If it wasn't for this group, I don't think I would be back into my crafting as much as I am.  I love it here!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

i tried geting a book and it was pretty hard to follow, so i'll probably just head to youtube lol. but its nice to know that if i can come here for help too :)

Quoting SamKlug:

Quoting jrobertson20:

Quoting SamKlug:

Quoting jrobertson20:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

now i want to head out and buy new needles lol (I can't find the ones I bought when I tried a couple years ago). i still have yarn, but i'm not sure if it's the right kind (in terms of me being a beginner I mean, I didn't really know much when I was picking it out). btw have you ever used bamboo needles (lol at first i typed noodles), i was browsing the joannn fabrics site and it said they are lighter and smoother so they might be easier for me to start with.

Quoting SamKlug:

The books do make it difficult, IMO.  I like to see what is happening and try to follow.  Just the way they explain it in the books it sounds like a completely different language to me.  Lol.  Yup!  We are always here to help!  If it wasn't for this group, I don't think I would be back into my crafting as much as I am.  I love it here!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting SamKlug:

Quoting jrobertson20:

Quoting SamKlug:

Quoting jrobertson20:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

SamKlug
by Sammie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Lol!  I have a bad habbit of buying at least one new needle every time I walk into walmart.  Hubby laughs every time.  Lol.  As for the bamboo needles, I haven't tried them yet.  But when it comes to anything bamboo you have to take care of it really well.  I only know this because I'm an Asian addict.  Lol.  I like the basic Boye needles.  I find that they don't require much upkeep and they work really well.  As for yarn, I've always used the Red Heart.  I haven't had any problems with it yet.  When it comes to more difficult projects, like scrubbies and certain toys, the pattern may call for something different.  But for now, I would stick with the basics.  Hope this helps!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

now i want to head out and buy new needles lol (I can't find the ones I bought when I tried a couple years ago). i still have yarn, but i'm not sure if it's the right kind (in terms of me being a beginner I mean, I didn't really know much when I was picking it out). btw have you ever used bamboo needles (lol at first i typed noodles), i was browsing the joannn fabrics site and it said they are lighter and smoother so they might be easier for me to start with.

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

that's a good point about the bamboo needles, guess i'll see what's available when we get to the store.  I've seen a bunch of red heart yarn, and it doesn't seem to expensive so maybe i'll go ahead and pick some up so I can get started...

Quoting SamKlug:

Lol!  I have a bad habbit of buying at least one new needle every time I walk into walmart.  Hubby laughs every time.  Lol.  As for the bamboo needles, I haven't tried them yet.  But when it comes to anything bamboo you have to take care of it really well.  I only know this because I'm an Asian addict.  Lol.  I like the basic Boye needles.  I find that they don't require much upkeep and they work really well.  As for yarn, I've always used the Red Heart.  I haven't had any problems with it yet.  When it comes to more difficult projects, like scrubbies and certain toys, the pattern may call for something different.  But for now, I would stick with the basics.  Hope this helps!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

SamKlug
by Sammie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I love anything bamboo.  I think it's beautiful.  But like I said, upkeep is a pain.  My cousin put bamboo flooring in her house a long time ago and I told her how to take care of it.  With the oiling, washing and everything else.  Needless to say, it went to crap in less than 6 months.  It broke my heart to see that happen.  Yeah, basics are the best way to go.  I still go with the basics and I've been crocheting for years.  Boye needles and Red Heart yarn are the best things to use, IMO.  I wish you luck hun!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

that's a good point about the bamboo needles, guess i'll see what's available when we get to the store.  I've seen a bunch of red heart yarn, and it doesn't seem to expensive so maybe i'll go ahead and pick some up so I can get started...

Quoting SamKlug:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)