Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Has anyone ever made Pinwheels?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have been thinking about making pinwheels and put them in a vase as a centerpiece for my parents upcoming anniversary party. I am not sure what you call the center of the pinwheel that goes thru the paper and attaches to the handle. But does anyone know where I can purchase that or how I can make it? I have read on line that you can use a straw with an eraser, but I wanted it to be a little bit better  quality than a plastic straw. I want it to stay on well, but I don't really care if it turns. Any thought?

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
You could use thin wooden dowels or wooden skewers. I used little nails I found in DHs tool box...they're about an inch long and silver.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michie02
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

You could use brads (you find them in the stationary section of Walmart). They have bigger heads on them but will go through the wheel part and a straw handle.

Good Luck!

sew4fun
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are wanting them to be sturdy I would go with the wooden dowels and small nails.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

For sturdy I agree with the wooden dowels and nails (you can spraypaint the dowels in the necessary colors.)

babynurse454
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I've made many many of them. I buy a package of 50 wooden skewers at the dollar store and use them. I like the pointed end i can put in things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirls10181
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Sticks, straw like found in hay, it would be a little mor edecrative, use the brad and tie it to string and the string to the straw. Or what you choose to hold the pinwhel up, sou ds awesome hope you come up with something
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

A wooden/bamboo skewer (larger size), larger sequins to put in the center of the pinwheel and the brad through the sequins and pinwheel into the skewer.  Looks pretty, keeps the paper of the pinwheel from tearing through the brad and if you put one of both sides of the pinwheel then attach to the skewer, they will spin.

Phillipsmomm
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would use a small brass nail & a wooden dowel. Use card stock for the pinwheel part so it stands up but isnt to rigid to fold

cherylw993
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Thanks Everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)