Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Craft Contract???

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am just now starting to work on projects for other people.  Before I start a store, I want to see what kind of market there is for my products to get a better feel for which direction I need to go in.

I am currently working on custom invitations.  My current "client" is being a pain.  Every two days she sends a text wanting photo status updates as well as "what do you think if we did this?" type change requests.

At this point, they are now due on Monday. 30 of them.  And she is not getting back to me on the final image. So, my question is, do any of you have a "craft contract" that defines last day for changes, charges for changes, etc?  If you do, would you be willing to share that with me?  I'm looking at creating invoices and would like to get this stuff written down to better protect my time.

Thanks in advance.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
thenameshailie
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like she is just excited and wants to be involved. I would just tell her that you need a final go ahead because the dealine is up to have them ready on time. In the future, discuss a dealine before you start. I do not have a contract but some times you just kind of gotta say "Hey! Im the professional here and you hired me for a reason!!" Ofcourse not in those words. This may not have been helpful at all lol.....good luck and I would google a contract if I were you.

MrsWhite101610
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I would definitely do a contract
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

If it's not already in your policies, you should consider putting in there guidelines such as "only three revisions are available, any more and it's a $____ charge" and "all changes must be approved within X amounts of days"

If It is not in your policies and something goes wrong, it'll be much harder to fix. In any situations you can always refer people back to your policies and say "that's how I do things and handle orders"

It sounds cold and mean, but it's super helpful to have a strict and clearly layed out policy plan.

warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Great advice - and since there is no written policy currently (from what I gather) - you may just have to give her a time for a final decision if you feel you will not be able to get them done on time - and emphasize that you're giving her the deadline time so she will have a professional looking project - and calmly ask her "Do you understand what I'm saying to you?" 

As far as her not getting back with you, leave a message on her phone or e-mail,or text her or leave a notice in her mailbox if possible - or even do all of them.  Best wishes.

Hope you let us know how it turns out.

Quoting melliburger:

If it's not already in your policies, you should consider putting in there guidelines such as "only three revisions are available, any more and it's a $____ charge" and "all changes must be approved within X amounts of days"

If It is not in your policies and something goes wrong, it'll be much harder to fix. In any situations you can always refer people back to your policies and say "that's how I do things and handle orders"

It sounds cold and mean, but it's super helpful to have a strict and clearly layed out policy plan.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to me. I'm working on some wording to put on my order forms right now.
As for the project, I finished this one. The lady got back to me at 4:00 with approval on part of the project, wanting to know if I could make a change to a part she had already approved. I told her that since they were due on Monday, the quality of the project would be diminished, and I still needed time to finalize the project, as images are only a part of it. I then reminded her that we had already agreed that this project would be simple since it was to be done on short notice, and that any further changes would raise the fee 15%, each. She made a final approval and I advised her I would be finalizing.

People that don't craft don't understand that things take time. Depending on the project, there is the design process, creating it, and perfecting it. I've found that designing can take the longest, unless you're creating in multiples. I wish more people understood that its not just a simple task, that's why not everyone does it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Good - you're working on your wording :)

I think that 15% for each change will prompt clients to come to a final decision in a timely manner.

Glad the lady got back with you and the project is finished.

You're right, unless you are a crafter or the clients have experience doing business with crafters, they really do not know how much time it can take (unless by chance what you already have made is what they want) - I crochet and I have to tell people it's only one stitch at a time.

Quoting mybratsmom:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to me. I'm working on some wording to put on my order forms right now.
As for the project, I finished this one. The lady got back to me at 4:00 with approval on part of the project, wanting to know if I could make a change to a part she had already approved. I told her that since they were due on Monday, the quality of the project would be diminished, and I still needed time to finalize the project, as images are only a part of it. I then reminded her that we had already agreed that this project would be simple since it was to be done on short notice, and that any further changes would raise the fee 15%, each. She made a final approval and I advised her I would be finalizing.

People that don't craft don't understand that things take time. Depending on the project, there is the design process, creating it, and perfecting it. I've found that designing can take the longest, unless you're creating in multiples. I wish more people understood that its not just a simple task, that's why not everyone does it!

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track.  From personal experience, I would recomed charging a down payment at the signing of the contract. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN