Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

First vendor show...any tips????

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am doing my first vendor show at a local high school on March 30th.  I was just wondering if anybody has any advice for me?  I am selling crocheted hats.  How many would you try to have?  Any tips would be awesome!!!

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shell3m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

think of how many looks like a lot and then double that or triple.  Also don't just stand there, raise your voice to say hi to people and smile and engage them in conversation.  I've seen so many people just stand there and then wonder why nobody wanted to come and see what they have..lol   :)  Also keep things color coordinated and orgainzed.....people's mind will get overwhelmed if your table is messy and they will leave quick or not even stop.  Hope that helps!  :)

CafeMom Tickers
melliburger
by Melli on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would make as many as you can! You never know what might the perfect hat for that one event!

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We put a bowl of candy on our table... we got more old people then kids stop and grab some they then took a second and look around and most bought somwthing. Make as many hats as you can! Also have your cards and some type of order form if you will do custom hats on the table so if they like them but want different colors or something they will see them and ask.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jrobertson20
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thank you ladies.  Those are all awesome ideas that I would have never thought of on my own!!!!  I'm getting so excited!!!!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Decorate your entrance. My first glance at a booth either brings me in or walks me past. Happy Selling. Would you have time to add a few scarves? They are big in fashion this year. And if you use different yarns, write a card with washing instructions, too.

warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

This is really good advice - my first show I was pretty quiet because I had that feeling inside that no one will want to buy - I did sell a few things, but afterward wondered if I could have sold more had I been more socially engaging. And an attractive table will attract potential clients whether they buy from the table or order from you. I did get some orders too. So best wishes to you :)

Quoting shell3m:

think of how many looks like a lot and then double that or triple.  Also don't just stand there, raise your voice to say hi to people and smile and engage them in conversation.  I've seen so many people just stand there and then wonder why nobody wanted to come and see what they have..lol   :)  Also keep things color coordinated and orgainzed.....people's mind will get overwhelmed if your table is messy and they will leave quick or not even stop.  Hope that helps!  :)

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I spent 2 years as a street vendor and I certainly agree with the ladies who are telling you to speak up.  I use to walk around my stand calling out good mornings to every body who walked down the street.  I didn't open with a sales pitch, just a friendly face and a greeting.  People love that.  Wear a cute outfit and a bright smile, you'll do great. 

Also view the first part of the day as setting the stage.  Talk to people and do your best to make their day.  When they have seen everything there is to see, many will remember you as the happy lady with the hats and find their way back.  Very few people make purchases as soon as they start shopping. 

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM

lol, I did the same thing with my first one and found out real quick that people just kind of look at you sideways and keep moving..lol  I learned to step out of my comfort zone and get their attention by talking about their cool shirt or the weather or just "hey have you ladies seen this yet? it's really neat!".  I think it makes them feel more comfortable for you to start the conversation first.  :)   My tables looked like crap in my first show too...not how I had them but my table ITSELF was really, really beat up so I learned to have a simple yet pretty table cloth on it....it's AMAZING how small things make a difference.  :) 

Quoting warmcoffee:

This is really good advice - my first show I was pretty quiet because I had that feeling inside that no one will want to buy - I did sell a few things, but afterward wondered if I could have sold more had I been more socially engaging. And an attractive table will attract potential clients whether they buy from the table or order from you. I did get some orders too. So best wishes to you :)

Quoting shell3m:

CafeMom Tickers
shell3m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

SO TRUE!!  :)  I make most of my sales at the end of the day but usually it's the people who had the best time at my table.  They do come back most of the time.  :)

Quoting SissyMacK:

I spent 2 years as a street vendor and I certainly agree with the ladies who are telling you to speak up.  I use to walk around my stand calling out good mornings to every body who walked down the street.  I didn't open with a sales pitch, just a friendly face and a greeting.  People love that.  Wear a cute outfit and a bright smile, you'll do great. 

Also view the first part of the day as setting the stage.  Talk to people and do your best to make their day.  When they have seen everything there is to see, many will remember you as the happy lady with the hats and find their way back.  Very few people make purchases as soon as they start shopping. 

CafeMom Tickers
warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

So true - our sponsor had tablecloths ready for us. But, yes, how your table is set/decorated can make a big difference.

Quoting shell3m:

lol, I did the same thing with my first one and found out real quick that people just kind of look at you sideways and keep moving..lol  I learned to step out of my comfort zone and get their attention by talking about their cool shirt or the weather or just "hey have you ladies seen this yet? it's really neat!".  I think it makes them feel more comfortable for you to start the conversation first.  :)   My tables looked like crap in my first show too...not how I had them but my table ITSELF was really, really beat up so I learned to have a simple yet pretty table cloth on it....it's AMAZING how small things make a difference.  :) 

Quoting warmcoffee:

Quoting shell3m:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN