Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made a discovery which quickly turned into the first craft project I've done since my son was born

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM
  • 9 Replies

A friend of mine noticed on another forum that those silicone beads were on sale at Michaels. My 8 month old is teething like crazy and I can't wear jewelry around this guy because he's constantly pulling on it and just about tore my grandmother's pearls off my neck!

... Anyway I was searching high and low for those silicone teething beads because the necklaces are so expensive on Etsy.. they are on sale right  now at Michaels for like $5 so I bought on in every color.

I couldn't be happier... and my son loves them!

I haven't been crafty since before I was pregnant. This was a nice easy project to help get me back into the process of creativity :)

I wrote a tutorial blog about it if anyone is interested in making their own: http://ugtms.com/diy-make-your-own-silicone-teething-necklace/

I've been really interested in jewerly that is safe for babies to chew on because I really miss being able to wear jewelry. It's just difficult when my son grabs and pulls everything into his mouth. I'm afraid everything I wear has become a choking hazard.. including buttons on my sweater!

Do you have any ideas for making jewelry that is safe to be worn around babies???

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jryberg
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Great idea, they look nice

Cheribomb
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
They are cute but I have a hard time giving little ones beads they can very easily choke on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nstroble
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Excellent point. That's why I've fixed them so there is no way they could come off :)

twinmom86
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this
My only suggestion would be to tie a knot in the cord between each bead. This will help if the necklace does ever break because you'll only lose one bead and won't have to wonder if you found them all.
nstroble
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

That's actually what I did :)

twinmom86
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh good. I couldn't tell for sure from your pictures because I'm mobile. : )
deadpplrmyhero
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I just bought some off band chew beads in a coop group. I've never seen silicone beads in the store.

nstroble
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM

What are they made of?

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I've seen those at the natural baby store and they are so expensive!  You did very well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)