Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

How many projects before you "got it"?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just started sewing, and I've made two projects. They're ok for someone who has never sewn before. How many projects did it take for you to get comfortable?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopalong47
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

It takes a while...my first project was an apron for 4-H (I was 10 years old) and it was NOT good. I was very upset with the white ribbon I got and told my mother..."I will never get a white ribbon again. I got much better as time went on and have now been sewing for more than 50 years. Just keep on trying new things and enjoy what you do!

sewing

lovengrace
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

usually once or twice depending on how complex the project is tho

BaBeezandMe
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't sew to save my life.  I respect people who can.

amaroq86
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I'm not comfortable yet. I have been sewing off and on since I was a kid. I think I need to sew more often.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crafty8852
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM

What she said lol. I've been sewing a long time, but only on and off and sporadically as projects pop into my life. I think if I made it a regular habit my skills would be better as well. I do well enough to get by lol..

Quoting amaroq86:

I'm not comfortable yet. I have been sewing off and on since I was a kid. I think I need to sew more often.

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Right? It's really such a lost art. My step dad is from Myanmar (Burma) and he told me his family business was tailoring; and not just hemming things, but his mom would make clothes the old school way and sell them! 

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

I can't sew to save my life.  I respect people who can.

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

So true!

Quoting Crafty8852:

What she said lol. I've been sewing a long time, but only on and off and sporadically as projects pop into my life. I think if I made it a regular habit my skills would be better as well. I do well enough to get by lol..

Quoting amaroq86:

T-Rentsmommy06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this

It took me three hats, I didn't know I crochet backwards, thus making my hats inside out. lol I cannot sew to save my life, my husband does a better job (which is decent) than me!

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Well... some things I wonder if I will EVER get it. Some things come easy... With everything repetition makes perfect. They say it takes 21 times of repeating something to commit it to memory. 

occumommy
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It took me quite a while, and still a not that great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)