Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shipping items??

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am slowly starting to open my craft business. I have been doing some craft shows and have started my Facebook Page. I have not had to deal with this yet, but most of my items can be shipped very easy. I do have a few items that would not ship well. I am sure anything can  be shipped, but I can't imagine anyone would pay the cost and I would not feel comfortable taking the risk. (They are not breakable, but could be crushed).

How do other people handle this? and also If you need to delivery an item locally, do you charge a delivery fee?

Thanks for any advice.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Queen_Bree
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I charge a local delivery fee of $10 or more depending on distance. Anything I ship I insure. Insurance will pay for any items that are damaged during shipping. 

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I don't do local delivery to strangers. Stranger danger, friend. Shipping is easy, what items are you concerned about shipping?

You should look into Storenvy.com! It's free to list and sell there and you can totally customize your shop, and embed it in Facebook to make it super super easy for people to buy from you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
billssweety
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

For local delivery (meeting someone in a public place) I do not charge.  I have posted my business info on local yard sale sights and made quite a few sales through them.  I have had several people meet me at my place of work also.

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not do local shipping. I do not like metting strangers and am always hesitant to do craigslists postings. Whenever we do meet anyone, I always make sure it's during business hours at a really busy place, like shopping centers and stuff. I"m paranoid though. If you want to charge you should, but honestly I'd rather just pay the online shipping.

cherylw993
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Have you ever had a problem with damaged items?

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I charge a local delivery fee of $10 or more depending on distance. Anything I ship I insure. Insurance will pay for any items that are damaged during shipping. 

cherylw993
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I don't do local delivery to strangers. Stranger danger, friend. Shipping is easy, what items are you concerned about shipping?

You should look into Storenvy.com! It's free to list and sell there and you can totally customize your shop, and embed it in Facebook to make it super super easy for people to buy from you.

This is on of the items that I am concerned about shipping. One person wants to buy 12 for a baby shower.  I met her at a craft fair and she is an older lady, she seems pretty harmless lol. So I think I may just meet her somewhere.

I couldn't imagine shipping 12 or more of these. I would think it would be very expensive and I would feel terrible if someone was expecting them for a shower and they arrived damaged.

I have heard alot about Storenvy (mostly in this group) Do you suggest I do that rather than Esty or should I do both?

cherylw993
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Interesting, Did you have a yard sale and put your items out for sale as well?

Quoting billssweety:

For local delivery (meeting someone in a public place) I do not charge.  I have posted my business info on local yard sale sights and made quite a few sales through them.  I have had several people meet me at my place of work also.

billssweety
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but on the local FB sights local "home businesses" post their business info and list pictures, I have made several hundred dollars in sales through the site.

Quoting cherylw993:

Interesting, Did you have a yard sale and put your items out for sale as well?

Quoting billssweety:

billssweety
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Yeah I wouldn't feel comfortable shipping those either.  I think if you met in a public place, here in our small town most people meet at the local Walgreen's, but hey any large business parking lot I would think would be safe.

Quoting cherylw993:

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

This is on of the items that I am concerned about shipping. One person wants to buy 12 for a baby shower.  I met her at a craft fair and she is an older lady, she seems pretty harmless lol. So I think I may just meet her somewhere.

I couldn't imagine shipping 12 or more of these. I would think it would be very expensive and I would feel terrible if someone was expecting them for a shower and they arrived damaged.

I have heard alot about Storenvy (mostly in this group) Do you suggest I do that rather than Esty or should I do both?

Queen_Bree
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I never have had a problem with broken items. I am always sure to mark FRAGILE in RED if there is something breakable. I did have an item that was stolen from the recievers door step. It was paid for by insurance and the items were replaced. 

Quoting cherylw993:

Have you ever had a problem with damaged items?

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)