Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you charge for these?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 16 Replies
I have been making baby blankets for a couple of years now for gifts. I have only made 4 so far for my nieces, nephew and my son, I am now working on a 5th one for my new niece or nephew. People keep telling me I should sell them but I don't know what I should charge for them. The front is crocheted with a fabric backing and sateen binding around it. They would be made to order for colors specified. What would you charge for them?
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Owensmom1288
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I forgot to add the pics!

This is the front and back of the one I made my son...

This is the front and back of the one I made my nephew...

mama_girl07
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM

People havebeen asking me what I would sell them for and I normally charge 2-3 times what materials cost. Which puts the blankets pretty expensive.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I would look and see what the going rate is, but go in knowing that it is a VERY competition market and hard to get off the ground. There's a lot of people who sell crocheted blankets.

MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I tried selling crochet baby blankets many years ago and would only get around $10 for them. It wasnt worth my time :/ Normal rule of thumb is 3 times material costs. Good luck to you! :)

Sama2Mamma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I'd say $25
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
asingledream
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

That is such a difficult call to make.  As someone who has made both crocheted and knitted blankets, the time and materials involved just don't tend to be reimbursed from the price.  I know that's not very helpful, it just breaks my heart so see people selling handmade things like this well below what they're worth because of a competitive market and a general lack of understanding of how much time goes into the finished product.  I think what it ends up being is a labor of love where you might get a little more than reimbursement of materials. 

Scottishbrat33
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The pictures of the blanket are very nice.How much money did you spend on this project? that is what I would ask myself.You made the pillow too.Just looking at it I would charge$15.00.Try to price it so you get a little profit.

SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I tend to take material cost x 2

then add in shipping costs 

and then at least $3.65 for labor, depending on what the item is.  

And after all that I've still had people tell me my prices are low.

Dreamweaver_46
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Georgeous! I would charge at the very least 60. I'm serious put them on etsy and offer custom colors. BTW beautiful work. 

mama_girl07
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Blankets are a tough sel I think because people dont realize how much it costs. The cheapest blanket Ive made was pretty small 24"x30" so baby size and it cost $15 to make not counting the 4+ hours I spent making it. I am made/am making a blanket for both my girls for their birthdays and they each cost me $28-$30 for materials and 10-12 hours combined to make.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)