Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jewelry making

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm sure this has been asked before but if you make jewelry I'd like to know what I'd need to start out with for beginners?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
asingledream
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

What kind of jewelry do you want to make?

dqsmami06
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Beaded necklaces. Possibly with chunky beads and those cute little bubble gum bead necklaces for little girls. I'm also in the process of making polymer clay beads :)
asingledream
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Fun!  That's a good start, and your materials needed would be minimal.

There are a ton of tutorials for those super-popular necklaces, both photo tutorials and it looks like a few on YouTube as well.  You would need your beads (of course), and your stringing material, which could be stretch cord, ribbon.. something sturdy... it's all going to depend on who is going to wear it and what you want your final look to be. 

If you're looking to make jewelry with clasps and regular beads, you might need crimp beads & pliers, as well as whatever findings you want to use. 

Do a google search for beaded necklace tutorial, or gumball necklace tutorial.  The really good ones will give you a list of all the supplies and tools you will need right at the beginning.  I hope this helps, and shout if you have any other questions!

Have fun!

~C

dqsmami06
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Thanks a lot I appreciate it! I YouTubed vids on jewelry making and some complicated ones popped up I was very confused and overwhelmed! Thanks Again asingledream! :)
asingledream
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Any time.  Feel free to friend me and shoot me a message if you have any questions.

My business is jewelry design, so I might be able to help if you get stuck on something :)

Quoting dqsmami06:

Thanks a lot I appreciate it! I YouTubed vids on jewelry making and some complicated ones popped up I was very confused and overwhelmed! Thanks Again asingledream! :)

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM

You can get a basic starter kit at JoAnn's or Michaels. It's made by Darice...there's a bead board,jewelry pliers,wire cutter and some jewelry findings like eye pins,etc in the kit. It comes in two sizes. Once you have the basic tools you're ready to go. If you want to make beaded necklaces you'll need to invest in a crimping tool and crimp beads and crimp caps.

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM

These ladies are right.

You should check into a kit :) Usually they have almost everything you need to start, including pliers and whatnot. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)