Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need sewing pattern - bow tie (plus cute story)

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
My 6yo son tells my husband this morning that he wants to wear a bow tie to Kindergarten "because there is a girl that I love and I want to look like a gentleman." Hahaha!! No idea where he got that, lol!

So, I need a pattern for a fabric bow tie - maybe one that velcroes in the back since I have no idea how to tie one, lol. I'll google after work, but thought I'd check with you crafty ladies first.

He also wants a kilt, so I'll have to figure that out eventually. Lmao
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM

No pattern needed for bow ties - they are super easy. Determine how long and wide it needs to be, add 1/2" to length and width. Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together, starting at the top edge (with fold on the left side), start sewing across the length of the bow. When you get to the center, leave about a 1" opening, continue sewing all the way around. Turn right side out, sew the open gap closed (your small fabric center will cover the sewn gap).

Pinch the middle together and sew through to hold shape. Sew another smaller piece of fabric the same way for the center, and sew or glue the velcro piece to the back of it and place over the bow tie.

Photo for reference:

http://www.fashioninternationaldesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bow_tie.jpg

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Perfect - thanks!

Quoting MommaChelleB:

No pattern needed for bow ties - they are super easy. Determine how long and wide it needs to be, add 1/2" to length and width. Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together, starting at the top edge (with fold on the left side), start sewing across the length of the bow. When you get to the center, leave about a 1" opening, continue sewing all the way around. Turn right side out, sew the open gap closed (your small fabric center will cover the sewn gap).

Pinch the middle together and sew through to hold shape. Sew another smaller piece of fabric the same way for the center, and sew or glue the velcro piece to the back of it and place over the bow tie.

Photo for reference:

http://www.fashioninternationaldesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bow_tie.jpg

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

OH MY GOODNESS!

I think I just died of the cute!

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

That's such a cute story! lol Good luck :)

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Right??? He is such a little romantic. Love him!!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

OH MY GOODNESS!

I think I just died of the cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)