Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

sorry if these are stupid questions, but i'm new to crafting!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

so i'm trying to make these onesies for my daughter with iron-oned appliques.  i also want to attach a bow to at least one of them.  i'm having some issues though, and maybe you ladies can help.

i hot glued a bow on to one and it worked great... until i washed it.  i wash everything in cold water and i hung the outfit to dry but still the bow fell off.  any suggestions of what i can use to get the bow to stay on?

i applied the appliques per the package instructions but one has already fallen off, and a couple of the others are coming up on edges.  i am terrible at sewing and my machine is pretty crappy.  any other suggestions for how i can get the appliques to stick better/longer?

thanks ladies i appreciate any advice you can give!

all onesies:

photo all-onesies_zpscddd96fa.jpg

onesie with bow:

photo pirates-dont-have-bedtimes_zps483c97f9.jpg

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonRadiance
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:01 AM

You could use a small hand stitch to keep the bow on. Hand stitching isn't isn't too hard. Are the appliques the kind that you sew on? 

keyawin
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I would hand stitch the bow on. Also even if the appliqu├ęs are iron, maybe hand stitch a few spots around the edge. It is really easy to do

tigerstripes12
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM

the appliques are iron-on but can be stiched.  i can give it a shot but i'm really inept with a needle!  that's why i was hoping there was some type of like super heavy duty fabric glue lol

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:54 AM

With the iron ons... did you iron on from the front of the applique or the back?

When i made some a few years back for a relative's daughter.. i had to place the applique on, then turn the onesie insideout and put on iron in that side.. otherwise the heat wouldn't get to the glue and melt it enough to them to stick. it was really a pain in the ass.

sometimes too.. the glue is old and doesn' do it's job well any more.  Maybe try fabric glue? although i haven't had good luck with that either.

cherylw993
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone else. The onesies are super cute.

SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I agree with trying to turn it inside out and ironing.

Or even adding a few hand stitched places.

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Those iron on patches are really stiff I'm not sure that they'd be all that comfortable on a baby's onsie.  I'd do fabric paint instead.

tigerstripes12
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

i ironed from the top because that's what the directions indicated but ironing from the glue side makes a lot more sense!!  good idea!  i'll give it a shot

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

With the iron ons... did you iron on from the front of the applique or the back?

When i made some a few years back for a relative's daughter.. i had to place the applique on, then turn the onesie insideout and put on iron in that side.. otherwise the heat wouldn't get to the glue and melt it enough to them to stick. it was really a pain in the ass.

sometimes too.. the glue is old and doesn' do it's job well any more.  Maybe try fabric glue? although i haven't had good luck with that either.

tigerstripes12
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

thank you!

Quoting cherylw993:

I agree with everyone else. The onesies are super cute.

tigerstripes12
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

my daughter's been wearing these for a couple of weeks and they've worked out so far, just a couple of the appliques and a bow haven't survived as well lol  she's only 5 months so other than rolling over and spazing her arms and legs, she doesn't do a lot of moving.  i'll keep the fabric paint in mind as she gets older and moves round more though!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Those iron on patches are really stiff I'm not sure that they'd be all that comfortable on a baby's onsie.  I'd do fabric paint instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN