Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Craft for fun or profit...both?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 59 Replies

Crafting is in my blood...if you cut me, I swear mod podge would pour out. I love whipping things up on a whim. Recently, I made DD a headband holder. I found some scraps around the house and 2+hrs later...TA-DA! A brand spankin new holder.
I was proud of it, so of course, off to FB I went. Some friends asked what I'd charge for it. I craft for fun and gifts, never profit, so idk what to charge.
Do y'all craft for fun, profit or both? How much of a profit do you look to make?

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I run an indie handmade business, and just passed the 3.5 year mark! I love what I do, and make supplemental income from it - I make as much with my handmade business as I would at a day job. But it has taken three years to get to this point. It's not something you just dive into. I work 10 hours a day, seven days a week. It takes a lot of hard work, and there's a lot of times when you don't sell stuff for weeks or even months. So before you start selling, you need to ask if it's a one time thing, selling to a friend, or if you plan to launch a business and really stick with it - that will determine how you should plan for pricing, because you have to factor in the cost to create the item. If you are just selling it to a few friends, figure out what you would pay for it FROM a friend, and charge that.

nolo82
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

CONGRATS on the 3.5 year mark!! 

Thanks for the advice. It put a lot into prospective for me. As of now, I'm really not trying to make a business out of it, but that might change depending on the interest I receive from friends. So far, I have 3 orders since posting it online an hour ago. I'm glad you brought up the friend-fee bc I'm charging what I'd pay if they were selling it. I'm also 4.5 hours away from everybody, so I'd have to mail it out and take those costs into consideration as well. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I run an indie handmade business, and just passed the 3.5 year mark! I love what I do, and make supplemental income from it - I make as much with my handmade business as I would at a day job. But it has taken three years to get to this point. It's not something you just dive into. I work 10 hours a day, seven days a week. It takes a lot of hard work, and there's a lot of times when you don't sell stuff for weeks or even months. So before you start selling, you need to ask if it's a one time thing, selling to a friend, or if you plan to launch a business and really stick with it - that will determine how you should plan for pricing, because you have to factor in the cost to create the item. If you are just selling it to a few friends, figure out what you would pay for it FROM a friend, and charge that.

jrobertson20
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Both.  I love to do it but the extra money is also nice when you have two little kids!!!

keyawin
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Both. I do beadwork to keep my sanity, and I also sell it to make extra money. I figure its something I love doing and would do anyway so why not make a little money on it

krystlbear_84
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Mostly just for fun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
looneymom424
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I only sew for things for the grandchildren right now dont really plan on going into business unless I find something people like...then I would have to think about my health issues.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

both...so I can feed my habit...I am addicted to crafts...any crafts...all crafts...I have tried and still do a ton of different things. This week I am quilting, making jewelry, loom knitting and trying to find a new cross stitch to work on.

clowry02
by Chrissy on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Both
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Both! And like many, it's to feed my habit. I post a lot of my stuff on FB and my friends post what I've made for them on theirs...it's gotten me a few bites...enough to put some more supplies in my stash and take the kids to a movie every once in awhile. I've started to push the business side a little more but I'm trying to be careful because I dont want to take the fun out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvnature
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I do plastic canvas for fun and to give away as presents to friends, family members and once in a while I will donate my projects to organizations I belong to as prizes when they have special fun days where they give away donated prizes. I don't sell my projects. As for my pictures which are extremly special (was told that by a professional painter teacher). Apparently 99% of my pictures are way too beautiful to be put on canvas. I don't know how to take that lol. I do send pictures to the weather network from time to time and once one of my pictures was on the front page of the local website page. that made me so proud. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)