Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

I had to make up an inexpensive, but special baby gift....

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

this is what I came up with.  My neighbor just had her fourth baby, a little baby girl, she has one more dd and two ds.  So I went to the $ store and purchased four frames, same type, but two blue and two pink.  I purchased pink and blue stamp pads, making sure they are non toxic, and some nice white are board.  I put it in a bag and added one pink and one blue gel pens.  I wrote up the instructions to dip the childrens finger prints or hand prints, have the older ones make those finger prints into a picture (like a thumb print dog, or whatever comes into their heads), then have them write their names and date it and frame and hang it up.  I also added the Mom no-brainer instruction do them one at a time.  I spent $10 total and these are thoughtful gifts, that she only has to buy four new frames and paper to do it every year to see how big the prints get and how creative they become with age.  I was broke one year and I had my children make these gifts for their dad and grandmother.  They were always a hit.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Oh neat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jryberg
by Jaime on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM

sounds like a cute gift! 

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I think that's a great gift :)

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM
What a cool gift!!
iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Nice. :) 

clowry02
by Chrissy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

sound neat

dizzy77702
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Can you post a pic, I'd like to see it?
calebsmommy05
by Amy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM
That sounds super cute!
MsBlueBelle
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I can only take pictures with my very old phone camera and those I cannot upload.  My camera is charging. 

I can describe one for you.  Turn over a 3 x 5 index card to the blank side.  My children, then 9 years and 2 years old each made a thumb print on the card, side by side.  They did them in green ink, so under it dd wrote "Welcome to our Lily Pad" and she carefully (as a 9 yo could) made them each into little frogs with eyes and little stick legs.  It is so cute, I kept it and it hangs near my front door.  It is in a 50 cent frame I bought at a garage sale.  If I can give you the picture, I will.  I hope this explains it.  We would also make our own greeting cards, I bought the blank card stock from a craft store and for Christmas, they would make a tree shape out of finger prints and then they stuck little stickers like ornaments on it and we sent those out.  For a birthday card, they used multiple bright colors to make a cake shape, then they drew on a candle (only one) and mailed those to family members.  Ds was old enough then to draw on the plate and the squiggly lines to copy cake decorating.  These also were a huge hit and total investment for unlimited cards was the cost of blank card stock and the ink pads I kept in my craft closet.  Add a stamp and Hallmark could never make a card like it. 

blowing candleschristmas tree

Turkeys are also great to make out of a small hand print and if you make a fist with your hand you will see that if you put the ink on the part of the fist pointing down, with practice looks like a footprint. 

Quoting dizzy77702:

Can you post a pic, I'd like to see it?

MissElissa21
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Cute!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN