Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

This would be a complete nightmare for me...

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 18 Replies

Seriously. If I had to do collect sales tax for every state I shipped to and submit monthly accordingly I would probably stop selling. That would take me so long. I get an average of about 200 orders a month. That's a lot of extra work for me on top of the headache I get every time I do my taxes now.

http://www.etsy.com/blog/news/2013/making-online-sales-tax-work-for-small-sellers/?campaign_label=etsy_success&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=etsy_success_050713_5725000829_0&utm_medium=email&email_sent=1367969941&euid=5CG_pa-KV60Jwfrb_SLlSlk_vGTy

What do you think?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I doubt it will end up being instituted for tiny businesses like ours, honestly. But if it does I'll figure out a way to make it work.
mommytohuddy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I have been meaning to read up on this...need to go do it. 

jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I really think I would hang the towel and say forget it. Maybe it's just because I'm extremely stressed out at the moment. Idk but if you ask me right now I would say forget it!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I doubt it will end up being instituted for tiny businesses like ours, honestly. But if it does I'll figure out a way to make it work.
jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Yeah I guess it's time to start getting involved in my end!

Quoting mommytohuddy:

I have been meaning to read up on this...need to go do it. 

jryberg
by Jaime on May. 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This is really in an effort to level the playing field for big box stores who compete with Amazon. And actually most states have a use tax you are supposed to file if you purchase something and don't pay sales tax.

lil_mama06
by Debbie on May. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I'll have to read up on it as well..I don't have sales tax here in Oregon... 

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I have heard ebay is fighting for tiny businesses with less than 500 employees or 10 million in sales annually to be exempt, hoping that goes through - it really seems most logical.

Quoting jryberg:

This is really in an effort to level the playing field for big box stores who compete with Amazon. And actually most states have a use tax you are supposed to file if you purchase something and don't pay sales tax.

Rhodin
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

By the time this law is implemented, I'm sure Paypal will already have an app to automatically charge and forward the appropriate sales tax for a small fee, so you won't have to do anything.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Oh I hope it drops away all online businesses will suffer, but small businesses may go under.
Anything to make life harder for the little guy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Oh I wasn't even talking about that. I'm talking about every month when I file my taxes with the state. That's where it would get time consuming.

Quoting Rhodin:

By the time this law is implemented, I'm sure Paypal will already have an app to automatically charge and forward the appropriate sales tax for a small fee, so you won't have to do anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)