Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

This would be a complete nightmare for me...

Posted by   + Show Post

Seriously. If I had to do collect sales tax for every state I shipped to and submit monthly accordingly I would probably stop selling. That would take me so long. I get an average of about 200 orders a month. That's a lot of extra work for me on top of the headache I get every time I do my taxes now.

http://www.etsy.com/blog/news/2013/making-online-sales-tax-work-for-small-sellers/?campaign_label=etsy_success&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=etsy_success_050713_5725000829_0&utm_medium=email&email_sent=1367969941&euid=5CG_pa-KV60Jwfrb_SLlSlk_vGTy

What do you think?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Replies (11-18):
shell3m
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM

yes, this would suck.  I ship all over.uggg.....

CafeMom Tickers
RutterMama
by Tia on May. 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM
From what I understand now, it doesn't apply to businesses who make less than $1m per year.
jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Yes that is how it currently is.

Quoting RutterMama:

From what I understand now, it doesn't apply to businesses who make less than $1m per year.
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Yeah, so looks like it wont effect small businesses. :)

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting RutterMama:

jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Oh well I meant before all this. Did they agree to keep it that way? Or maybe I'm confused. Lol

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting RutterMama:

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
It is not applicable to businesses that make less then 1 million a year, or have less.then 500 employees (I think, in the employee bit). So unless you make over a mil a year, this tax will never apply to you. It is geared for large companies like Amazon, Walmart, target, etc. Not tiny indie businesses. :) Nothing to worry about.

Quoting jridgill:

Oh well I meant before all this. Did they agree to keep it that way? Or maybe I'm confused. Lol

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting RutterMama:

jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM

OK From what I understood they were trying to change it so that it applied to everyone. No exemptions. I know that currently we were exempt but I thought that's what they were trying to change.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

It is not applicable to businesses that make less then 1 million a year, or have less.then 500 employees (I think, in the employee bit). So unless you make over a mil a year, this tax will never apply to you. It is geared for large companies like Amazon, Walmart, target, etc. Not tiny indie businesses. :) Nothing to worry about.

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting RutterMama:

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:44 AM
No, what is changing is big industry's like Amazon who don't collect & pay sales tax but make several million in a few hours will have to start paying sales tax. :) That is my understanding from reading the proposed bill and news surrounding it. It should encourage more local revenue & spending - so many people I know only order from Amazon to not pay sales tax in their state. I see this as a very good change for local economies. :)

Quoting jridgill:

OK From what I understood they were trying to change it so that it applied to everyone. No exemptions. I know that currently we were exempt but I thought that's what they were trying to change.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting RutterMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)