Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal? New serger may be used...Update: Returned.

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, I returned it last night and decided to just get a refund. They only had one other Singer and the other sergers were a lot more expensive and I didn't want to chance having a repeat problem. My hubs theory about the serger is that someone needed to finish a project ASAP, bought and used it, and then returned it taped up as unused. The lady at Joann's(different than one who sold it to me) thought the person who returned it had used it. But you can't open a taped up box. SMH to the bad customer. So, I ordered a Brother 1034D(my number 1 choice, actually) from Amazon and it'll be here Tuesday. So, when my Zorb arrives today I'll be prepping a lot of items that need serged :)Thanks for letting me vent!

I bought *new* serger from Joann's and upon opening it it looks used. There are no markings on the box to indicate that it is used or refurbished and it reflects the $299.99 price that is advertised as new. If it helps any it is a Singer Profinish. I haven't even plugged it in or threaded it yet.

The plastic bag was already cut open. The cardboard package for the needles was already opened as shown with the needles out of the package. And upon looking just now, I see that the spreader is missing.

Fabric dust on the insides of the serger.

Ergh. Now I'm just mad that they sold me a used item at full price. I'll definitely be returning this tomorrow.

by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brieshon
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Ugh, how frustrating! :( Hope they take it back without giving you a hard time!
mommytohuddy
by Megean on May. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM
That is frustrating! Hopefully, they exchange it nicely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on May. 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Very frustrating.

jryberg
by Jaime on May. 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I'm so sorry. That really sucks! I hope they give you a truly new one tomorrow.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I would definitely return it - good luck!
melliburger
by Melli on May. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

That really sucks! Im sorry I hope they dont make a big fuss out of giving you a new one :(

emersonsmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM
The store may not have realized it was used. My guess would be that someone purchased it and used it and then returned it. They probably didn't disclose that they used it so the store didn't look in the box.
skeletor1017
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Yeah, that's our going theory.

Quoting emersonsmommy:

The store may not have realized it was used. My guess would be that someone purchased it and used it and then returned it. They probably didn't disclose that they used it so the store didn't look in the box.

Crafty8852
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

What a frustrating situation :( Some customer was naughty! I have a Brother myself, it was my Valentine's Day gift 10 years ago! It's not a big fancy one, but it gets the job done and is very reliable ;) 

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Sorry about the initial purchase...some people can relaly be sucky, but at least you were able to return it.  I have the 1034D and LOVE it....need to get back to using it more, though as it's been sitting on my table ignored for the past few months (have been working like mad on a customer project that didn't need me to pull out the serger)....you'll enjoy it - took me 2 years to decide that it was the one I wanted (spent that time pricing, comparing features, and reading the reviews on www/patternreview.com)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)