Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stay @ Home mom looking for tips on starting jewelry business

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

Mobile Photo

I want to start making children's chunky beaded necklaces, I see so many on Facebook and Etsy and they are very cute. I would love to make these for my daughter as well as sell them. I don't really have a lot of money to burn on beads. Money is tight but I really want to find something I can do to bring money in & I enjoy beading.

Does anyone have any tips on how to start up a jewelry business at a low price also where to find these beads fairly cheap?
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MissElissa21
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Bump! I am not a jewelry maker, but there are a few ladies in here that sell something similar, hopefully they can help you out! Cute necklace btw!

You can start a shop on Storenvy.com for free and you can customize it any way you'd like. We also have a Marketplace forum you can advertise your business and show pictures!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Storenvy.com is a free to use platform, that is totally customizable. However, for you to start a biz with out having made the product very long is going to make it even harder, I would first start making them, see how they turn out for a few months and if they are store quality that you can sell. You may find you dont even like to make them as the beads are pretty expensive. Chunky bead necklaces are a HIGHLY saturated market and it will not be easy to make a load of money off of them. It can take months or years for a handmade business to be profitable, and with these being such a trend right now it may be hard to get your foot in the door to compete with boutique owners who have thousands of fans. I would start building your brand now and pop over to ohmyhandmade.com and start reading their businessy goodness posts to help get an idea how to run a handmade business. They have GREAT tips. Much luck on your adventure! :)
melliburger
by Melli on May. 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I agree with this. If you've never made them then you don't know how yours will turn out or like cody said you might not like how expensive they are to make.

Jewelry as a whole is very saturated. It's hard, very hard. I've had my jewelry store for 2 years and can't say it's successful.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Storenvy.com is a free to use platform, that is totally customizable. However, for you to start a biz with out having made the product very long is going to make it even harder, I would first start making them, see how they turn out for a few months and if they are store quality that you can sell. You may find you dont even like to make them as the beads are pretty expensive. Chunky bead necklaces are a HIGHLY saturated market and it will not be easy to make a load of money off of them. It can take months or years for a handmade business to be profitable, and with these being such a trend right now it may be hard to get your foot in the door to compete with boutique owners who have thousands of fans. I would start building your brand now and pop over to ohmyhandmade.com and start reading their businessy goodness posts to help get an idea how to run a handmade business. They have GREAT tips. Much luck on your adventure! :)

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I've been watching this post hoping for inspiration to give you, and hoping someone posts something that will help.

If you have a limited budget, you are going to have to buy the beads in small quantities.  There are lots of destash groups as well as two pages I like for beads. They generally sell the 20mm 10 for $1.60, sometimes more, depending on the bead.  Then you need something to string it on. While I like the stretchiness of the elastic cord, I prefer .45 TigerTail wire.  I don't want to run the risk of slobber or a snag pulling those beads off, and someone potentially choking.  I found some on ebay for $2.00, plus shipping.  Then you need to decide what kind of closure you want.  I like the ones with the loop and bar (mine are hearts with a bar).  I've seen some destash groups sell them for $.50 a set, or 10 sets for $3.  And then you will want pendants (characters are more expensive) and resin bows/flowers...again various prices. You will also want spacer beads, a bead board and crimp tubes. More money.

I ordered in bulk from a wholesale place what I initially thought was a lot of beads - my initial investment of just beads and findings?  $175.  Then I bought some pendants (I made MLP, Monsters U, Disney Princesses and some other characters) - about $75 more. I say "initially thought" because after I started making the necklaces, I realized it's not so much.

Here's the breakdown - Each necklace uses about 23 inches of cord/wire (I am making mine at 20 inches long).  That's about 22 chunky beads and a pendant. 26 spacer beads and one toggle closure. One chunky bead seller sells solid beads at 10 for $1.60, that's $4.80 right there, plus you need spacers, wire, crimp tubes and a closure.  Not to mention a set of pliers.  (I bought a mini set of pliers from Harbor Freight and I use them for everything - $3).  For one necklace.  I'm still making these necklaces so I can add them to my store - but I'm researching prices and wording.  I figure a plain necklace (no chunky pendant) can sell from $10 to $14.  I try to be on the cheaper end, but still need to make money.  The princess pendants and ponies are going for $16 to $22 - if you buy beads from a destash you are looking at a minimum of $5 to $8 a necklace, depending on what materials you use.

And then?  You have to get them to sell. 

If you just wanted to do them for your little one, it could be cheaper to make them than buy them, and they are fun to make.  Scratch that. They are addicting.  My 13 year old loves making them and has already asked for more beads.  (Umm, sell these ones first love - mama's broke!!)  I'll be posting pictures of what I make sometime this week...I have homework that I'm supposed to be working...if I can stop proCRAFTinating...

Mommy2LilEmma
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM
To everyone who replied to my post, thank you. I agree that selling them will be a challenge and since they are so addictive I might stick to just making several necklaces for my daughter on special holidays. Again thank you for your advice and thank you to mybratsmom for breaking down the expenses of these beads and where I can find them a little cheaper.
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Let me know if you want to trade some inventory!

Quoting Mommy2LilEmma:

To everyone who replied to my post, thank you. I agree that selling them will be a challenge and since they are so addictive I might stick to just making several necklaces for my daughter on special holidays. Again thank you for your advice and thank you to mybratsmom for breaking down the expenses of these beads and where I can find them a little cheaper.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)