Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for online selling tips from those who sell online.

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 8 Replies

I plan to open my own business in 6 months to a year but money is tight now and I was thinking of starting sooner. Any tips for me if I were to open a shop in the next few months?

I could really use some advise from how many things I should have to post starting out, to how to attract customers.

Also any other advise would be helpful in me deciding if I should open soon or wait. Thanks!

by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3kidz123
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

bump

3kidz123
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

bump

melliburger
by Melli on May. 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM

What kind of store would you open or what type of htings would you be selling? What avenues of selling have you looked into?

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM

What would you make and sell? That will help determine what steps you need to take.. Here is some generic advice:

It can take months or years for a handmade business to be self sustainable (not a pit that sucks up your personal money) much less profitable. It does not happen quickly, it takes a long time to start generating income from a handmade business. It is actually more of an investment than an income at first.

I would suggest Storenvy.com - it's a free to use e-commerce platform. Get professional branding done - it may cost between $40-$100 but it is the one single investment in your business you can not skimp on - you need a logo, shop banner, watermark, and business card design at least. Start networking with other shop owners. Work on your product photos to get them to convey your brand. DaftCrafts.net has a ton of great tips, as does ohmyhandmade.com. Get on Twitter and start talking to people, making connections - the sooner you start building those connections the more you will benefit from them!

3kidz123
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Well it's all just a thought right now. I was hoping to launch in 6-12 months giving me TONS of time to figure everything out and get ready. Now that I'm thinking of September or October I'm not sure if I have time which is why I thought I'd ask you guys here about it to help me make up my mind.

I can make earrings, sew, and I've recently fell in love with knitting...but I'd like to do mostly knitting since it's my favorite. As far as selling I want to do both craft fairs and online but craft fairs take more invintory and if I start in Sept/Oct I'll have a new baby so probably no craft fairs till spring.

For your store how much prep work did you do before you openned online or even did a craft fair?

How much networking did you do first...did you have a twitter, facebook, blog first?

Quoting melliburger:

What kind of store would you open or what type of htings would you be selling? What avenues of selling have you looked into?

3kidz123
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I'd like to sell knitted stuff but not 100% sure yet what. I was thinking kids hats, scarfs, gloves...but still not sure. I know it can take a LONG time which is part of why I was thinking of starting sooner than 6-12 months. At that rate it could be over 2 years before things are going well. lol

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

What would you make and sell? That will help determine what steps you need to take.. Here is some generic advice:

It can take months or years for a handmade business to be self sustainable (not a pit that sucks up your personal money) much less profitable. It does not happen quickly, it takes a long time to start generating income from a handmade business. It is actually more of an investment than an income at first.

I would suggest Storenvy.com - it's a free to use e-commerce platform. Get professional branding done - it may cost between $40-$100 but it is the one single investment in your business you can not skimp on - you need a logo, shop banner, watermark, and business card design at least. Start networking with other shop owners. Work on your product photos to get them to convey your brand. DaftCrafts.net has a ton of great tips, as does ohmyhandmade.com. Get on Twitter and start talking to people, making connections - the sooner you start building those connections the more you will benefit from them!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Two things to keep in mind with knitted goods - it has a limited market time, knitted products are out of season in the Spring and Summer. And that is an extremely saturated market, so you will have to have keyword rich, detailed descriptions that really entices buyers and professional photography to compete in that market. :) Lots of great tools out there to help with product descriptions and photos

Quoting 3kidz123:

I'd like to sell knitted stuff but not 100% sure yet what. I was thinking kids hats, scarfs, gloves...but still not sure. I know it can take a LONG time which is part of why I was thinking of starting sooner than 6-12 months. At that rate it could be over 2 years before things are going well. lol

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

melliburger
by Melli on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I love loom knitting :) These hotter months it's been REALLY slow but "m using the time to stock up. I also sell jewelry but that's been pretty stagnent for quite a few months. Even with a huge 50% off sale.

Before I opened I kinda dove in. I"ve learned a lot in the two years I've had my store opened. I went through facebook first. then starting using twitter and a blog. now I have a prescence on a lot of different sites.

Quoting 3kidz123:

Well it's all just a thought right now. I was hoping to launch in 6-12 months giving me TONS of time to figure everything out and get ready. Now that I'm thinking of September or October I'm not sure if I have time which is why I thought I'd ask you guys here about it to help me make up my mind.

I can make earrings, sew, and I've recently fell in love with knitting...but I'd like to do mostly knitting since it's my favorite. As far as selling I want to do both craft fairs and online but craft fairs take more invintory and if I start in Sept/Oct I'll have a new baby so probably no craft fairs till spring.

For your store how much prep work did you do before you openned online or even did a craft fair?

How much networking did you do first...did you have a twitter, facebook, blog first?

Quoting melliburger:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)