Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Starting my own business?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hey ladies! I've recently made a few diaper cakes and have had people telling me that I should start selling them. I'm doing some research and so far haven't found anyone local that have made as creative of cakes as these, so there's a potential good market here...just the tiered cakes and have only found a couple in our area who do even the tiered cakes. I've never started my own business before and it's kinda scary. Any tips or suggestions? Below are pics of a couple of the cakes I've made.

This is made with cloth diapers (prefolds & inserts):

Butterfly diaper cake, made with disposable diapers:

Boy's diaper cake with 8 onesies & disposable diapers:

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aliciajacinta
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Have you checked out with your local bakeries,to see if anyone is already selling around or surrounded areas. Then start small,have the people that have told you to sell,spread the word around about your unusual cakes,the word of mouth is very good,for it helps you get people to notice you.. when I first started doing my crafts,i had friend that i had made special gift for them,for birthday,housewarming,etc and they in turn would show them to their friends and the orders were coming in. But for you the cakes don't have to be real,you could produce something fake,but it should look like the real thing and pass it on to one of your friends  and then just wait,but while you are waiting,the other thing to do is have cards printed,with a small picture or your craft and place them on bulletin board in places that you go . Good luck

jlm425
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

it's not a real cake...they are made with diapers. :) I know of a couple businesses I'd like to approach with to see if I can display a diaper cake there and maybe have some picture cards of my other diaper cakes, etc. I've done research online so far to see what's in the area and haven't found much. There isn't many boutiques that are around that could sell them and the places that are around, don't sell them. I know one used to but they didn't much in sales the way they did it. I need to get my business license, get business cards, etc....but I need a business name and I have NO IDEA.

Quoting aliciajacinta:

Have you checked out with your local bakeries,to see if anyone is already selling around or surrounded areas. Then start small,have the people that have told you to sell,spread the word around about your unusual cakes,the word of mouth is very good,for it helps you get people to notice you.. when I first started doing my crafts,i had friend that i had made special gift for them,for birthday,housewarming,etc and they in turn would show them to their friends and the orders were coming in. But for you the cakes don't have to be real,you could produce something fake,but it should look like the real thing and pass it on to one of your friends  and then just wait,but while you are waiting,the other thing to do is have cards printed,with a small picture or your craft and place them on bulletin board in places that you go . Good luck

melliburger
by Melli on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Before approaching businesses I would try to have a name, business cards and at least a few reviews of the cakes you've done in the past. THe more things you have together the more professional you'll look.

Vistaprint has a lot of cards and rack cards, stickers, etc on sale all the time, sometimes even free.

Also branding is important. YOu'd need a logo for your business to put on the cards and such.

Also if you're approaching businesses I would consider doing a pamphlet, or at least a flyer that gives all your information and every service you do offer.

good luck.

jlm425
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Great ideas, thank you. I don't know what to do for a business name...that's one of my big hold ups. How do you come up with a great name?

Quoting melliburger:

Before approaching businesses I would try to have a name, business cards and at least a few reviews of the cakes you've done in the past. THe more things you have together the more professional you'll look.

Vistaprint has a lot of cards and rack cards, stickers, etc on sale all the time, sometimes even free.

Also branding is important. YOu'd need a logo for your business to put on the cards and such.

Also if you're approaching businesses I would consider doing a pamphlet, or at least a flyer that gives all your information and every service you do offer.

good luck.

melliburger
by Melli on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I used my name. My two businesses are Melli's Trinkets and Melli's Yarn Works. Nice simple, to the point. And different because no one else used "Melli" in their name. I did google searches to see what popped up with either name and nothing.

Quoting jlm425:

Great ideas, thank you. I don't know what to do for a business name...that's one of my big hold ups. How do you come up with a great name?

Quoting melliburger:

good luck.

Mrs.Burke11
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It is hard work. You need to check out your local compition and their prices. Do research on how to get your supplies cheap so you can make money. There is a lot that goes into.

aliciajacinta
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I also use my name for some of crafts that I sell ines is Roseglass

Rosie
jlm425
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Thanks. I've done some of that already...definitely lots to do.

Quoting Mrs.Burke11:

It is hard work. You need to check out your local compition and their prices. Do research on how to get your supplies cheap so you can make money. There is a lot that goes into.

XenaBeth
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Start out online, you have a broader array of customers, no overhead ect. Etsy, storenvy and instagram are all great places to start.

jlm425
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I'd definitely have an online presence. I'm aware of Etsy but not much with Storenvy and haven't used Instagram...so thanks.

Quoting XenaBeth:

Start out online, you have a broader array of customers, no overhead ect. Etsy, storenvy and instagram are all great places to start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN