Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Passport to Summer Challenge Day 13: Go Nautical!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 55 Replies

Today's challenge is to go nautical and have your kids craft sea life creatures!

Here are some examples of sea life crafts:

Contact paper jellyfish- For this craft you will need clear contact paper, ribbon, and items to decorate the jellyfish such as glitter, sequins, stickers, etc. To start, cut the contact paper to make a large "D" shape and cut the ribbon for the tentacles.  Have your kids peel the backing paper off the sheet of contact paper.  Turn the contact paper so that the rounded part is facing up and let them decorate their jellyfish. Your kids could either put the tentacles on first or decorate the body first.

Paper plate fish- For this craft all you'll need is a paper plate, scissors, glue, markers and/or crayons. Have your kids color the paper plate. Draw eyes or add googly eyes. Then cut a small triangle from the front of the plate to make a mouth. Take the triangle cut-out and glue it to the back of the fish for the tail.

Toilet paper roll octopus- For this craft you will need an empty toilet paper roll, paint or markers, and googly eyes. First have your kids color or paint the toilet paper roll whatever color they want the octopus to be. Then have them add googly eyes. Finally, cut seven little slits on the bottom and fold up the edges to make the octopus legs.

scuba

Does your family go to the beach often? What types of sea life crafts have you done with your kids?

Click here if you missed yesterday's activity. If you haven't signed up for the Passport to Summer Challenge, you can do so here!

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AspensMama1537
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I would love to take the kids to the beach! Too far of a drive. We might go boating this summer. We live to go swiming though!
othermom
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Cool idea.  We have been to the beach twice with the kids and they love it

bergencounty
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

we made fish 

Brieshon
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I wish we could go to the beach more often. :-/ We've done construction paper fish and made little fishing poles from sticks and string. :)
momofsixangels
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We love going to the beach.Living in fl we have many beaches.We went a few weeks ago and going again next week.

twiggee
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We usually try to take a couple trips a year to the beach unfortunately we have to go to lake michigan we are not near an ocean here in the midwest We really haven't done many sea life crafts we will have to try one of these..

acrogodess
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The kids will get to go to the beach without me though. My mom and their dad will take them. I have to care for my grandma. 

MamaMandee
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Cute ideas. When we lived in Oregon we went often as my mom lives at the beach. Now that we are in Indiana we dont go. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM

We love going to the beach. We try to go a few times each summer.  I can't recall any sea life crafts that we've made.

sanj1213
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

We haven't been to the beach with ds yet. The toilet paper roll octopus sounds cute. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)