Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Crocheting is hard!

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 28 Replies

I need some new dishcloths and I have a bunch of left over yarn so I thought I'd try out making some myself. Found a YouTube channel i like for learning how to crochet and the first project is a simple dishcloth. Perfect!

I made a small one before figuring out that I did some weird possibly made up stitch. It looks okay-ish but none of my sides are even. I'm about halfway through the second one doing the sc correctly and it's hard!

I have major respect for you ladies who master it!

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cheribomb
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

i taught myself how to crochet through youtube videos..  this is my favorite dish scrubbie video.    just keep at it & it will eventually click with ya!  i have been doing it for about 2 yrs now.  i can now crochet just about anything without patterns anymore.  

Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Dishclothes are a great way to learn crochet. You are just going to scrub a pan with it so it is ok. Once you get it down you can move on to bigger things. I have personally been crocheting for 30 years so yeah I have it down. You will get there.

boshs1andonly
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

i had a hard time with it too. i'm trying to make time to try again though. there was someone in CO (where my sister used to live) who would have taught us, too bad we found her when we were just getting ready to leave. i was there for two months with her so we could have gotten some lessons in lol. 

3kidz123
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree! I tried crocheting but it was so hard....not my hobby at all. lol

I learned to knit though and it takes a while but I find it so much easier....then again I still haven't actually finished a knitting project, turns out it's more fun to start them then finish them. LOL

TiffanyMarie80
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Dishcloths were my first crochet project!  I struggled the most with holding the yarn and the dishcloth and the hook all just right - but once I got it, everything got much easier  :) 

dstarr347
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been crocheting since I was eleven and I learned how to knit at 14. I love both but I crochet more. However, there are some patterns that can be more challenging than others but you will get it and master it. Stay encouraged and good luck!

Lisette1528
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Keep trying!!!  I have been crocheting for 20+ years (good gravy has it been that long?) and love it.  As a few other poster have stated;  dishclothes are a great way to learn on and you're only scrubbing the dishes, so it's ok!

Good luck!

Gorilla_Mama
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Dishcloths were my first crochet project!  I struggled the most with holding the yarn and the dishcloth and the hook all just right - but once I got it, everything got much easier  :) 

That's a real challenge for me too. The coordination it takes to hold onto everything correctly at the same time! And I must be skipping stitches somewhere because my second one is getting smaller as I go on lol!!

TiffanyMarie80
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM
When I first started, I had to be diligent in counting my stitches to keep that from happening. As I got better, I could relax a little, though it's always a good idea to check every few rows or do. ;)

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

That's a real challenge for me too. The coordination it takes to hold onto everything correctly at the same time! And I must be skipping stitches somewhere because my second one is getting smaller as I go on lol!!

Gorilla_Mama
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Quoting Cheribomb:

i taught myself how to crochet through youtube videos..  this is my favorite dish scrubbie video.    just keep at it & it will eventually click with ya!  i have been doing it for about 2 yrs now.  i can now crochet just about anything without patterns anymore.  

I think I might try these next because it all gets balled up together anyways. Much less noticeable if my lines are a bit wonky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)