Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

How do you make Soakers or Longies?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

for cloth diapers?

Anyone have any tips? I'm thinking fleece or wool... perferably using upcycling.. as i can't go out and buy fabric all the time.

links would be nice

Candice - Mom to  Miss K, Miss E, Mr. M! and PROUDLY introducing Little Miss C born May 7th 2013!! We are Canadian!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Wool works best if properly cared for, make sure you use a wool wash, however i stuck with the fleece, which was only good for one round for my kids.. but i also bought the thinner fleece. Wool is good for summer/winter while fleece is best in winter.

I love thursty covers, and bestbottom covers currently for our cloth love.

Off topic, dd is working on learning to use the pot (20m), and hoping she keeps it up, and we shall be out of cloth soon.
TiffanyMarie80
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I crochet soakers and longies with wool yarn - - LOVE wool!!!!  It's breathable, it's easy to care for, and it's totally bulletproof,e ven with my heavy wetter  :)

If you're wanting to sew some, here's a free pattern I've heard others have had success with. 

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM

awesome!! thanks!

I can't crochet worth a darn... I've tried several times and my poor brain just doesn't get it. I've bought a few fleece soakers online.. but I'm thinking i can make my own. Wool would be great i just have no idea how to care for wool.

TiffanyMarie80
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Wool care is easy :)  It is very low maintenance!

To start, I do my initial lanolizing a little different than general washing.  The first time I lanolize a new wool cover, I take a cup of HOT water, a couple drops of baby shampoo, and about 1/4 inch of lanolin squeezed out of the tube per cover.  Mix that together until the lanolin melts, and then pour it into your bucket of cool water.  Put in the cover and knead it (gently - it will felt and shrink if you work it too much) for just a minute, and then let it soak for a couple of hours.  When it's time to take it out, gently squeeze out excess water, then lay it on a towel and roll the towel up to get more water out.  Lay flat to dry. 

Depending on how many covers you have and how often they are worn, you won't need to wash very often.  Wool is naturally anti-bacterial, and the lanolin you put into the wool chemically alters urine (turns it into salt).  When you notice that your covers are not performing up to par anymore, it's time for a wash.  I turn mine inside out, soak it in cool water, and use a wool wash bar that has lanolin in it to scrub the cover, paying special attention to the wetzone.  I leave the cover to soak for 30 minutes to an hour, and then take it out to dry (just like before - with towel). 

:)  Good luck!!!

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

awesome!! thanks!

I can't crochet worth a darn... I've tried several times and my poor brain just doesn't get it. I've bought a few fleece soakers online.. but I'm thinking i can make my own. Wool would be great i just have no idea how to care for wool.

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

awesome!!! Thank you!!

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I am getting ready to make some wool soakers out of old sweaters.  Where do I buy lanolin? 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

To start, I do my initial lanolizing a little different than general washing.  The first time I lanolize a new wool cover, I take a cup of HOT water, a couple drops of baby shampoo, and about 1/4 inch of lanolin squeezed out of the tube per cover.  Mix that together until the lanolin melts, and then pour it into your bucket of cool water.  Put in the cover and knead it (gently - it will felt and shrink if you work it too much) for just a minute, and then let it soak for a couple of hours.  When it's time to take it out, gently squeeze out excess water, then lay it on a towel and roll the towel up to get more water out.  Lay flat to dry. 

Depending on how many covers you have and how often they are worn, you won't need to wash very often.  Wool is naturally anti-bacterial, and the lanolin you put into the wool chemically alters urine (turns it into salt).  When you notice that your covers are not performing up to par anymore, it's time for a wash.  I turn mine inside out, soak it in cool water, and use a wool wash bar that has lanolin in it to scrub the cover, paying special attention to the wetzone.  I leave the cover to soak for 30 minutes to an hour, and then take it out to dry (just like before - with towel). 

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

awesome!! thanks!

TiffanyMarie80
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Any 100% lanolin will work - the easiest to find is lansinoh (usually found with breast feeding "supplies").

Quoting SissyMacK:

I am getting ready to make some wool soakers out of old sweaters.  Where do I buy lanolin? 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

awesome!! thanks!

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I was hoping the answer was that simple!  Thank you. 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Any 100% lanolin will work - the easiest to find is lansinoh (usually found with breast feeding "supplies").

Quoting SissyMacK:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

awesome!! thanks!

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

ooh i have some!!!

jridgill
by Jennifer on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Looks like you have some good advice! Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)