Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paintings... feedback?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I painted this one during my last pregnancy when my horomones were all over the place and I was struggling with a little depression. I didn't compose it with any real thought. I just needed to get an emotion out so I started with a face and let the details find themselves. When I stepped back, this is what had come out. There's a lot of symbolizm for me in this (I'm still finding new meanings in it today that reflect the situations I was facing when I created it) but I wanted to hear your thoughts.. 

This one I painted years ago in college. I didn't have a real purpose for it but one day I found it in my old art portfolios and immediately knew it was for a friend of my mother's who was battling breast cancer (now a survivor).

Feedback and CC welcome!

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
3kidz123
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this

The first one is disturbing yet amazing! The passion and  pure talent radiating from it is astonishing!

That is what I'd consider true art.

melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

They're both really great pieces! I think this medium suits you and any emotions or feelings you need to get out :)

l0v3ly
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I was disturbed by the top one after I'd completed it too. But I think it really expresses the raw emotion that went into it. At the time I was afraid of having a second baby with a toddler who already seemed so needy and my marriage wasn't in a good place. I didn't have a strong support system then and I was feeling betrayed by the one person who I'd confided in and was supposed to be my partner. I didn't feel strong enough to do it all.

I think the veil represents both my feelings of a dying marriage and also portrays my feelings of inadiquacy, as if I couldn't cover it all. 

Maybe another mom out there can relate...

Quoting 3kidz123:

The first one is disturbing yet amazing! The passion and  pure talent radiating from it is astonishing!

summerbudbud
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM
At a lost for words....just amazing!
Snowl
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I like the top one. You can almost feel all the conflicting emotions.

Nice job on both.

gina6239
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I immediately related to the first painting, and I am ina  very similar situation right now. I am pregnant with my second child, and very worried about dividing my time and attention with my preschooler. And I am also not in a good place in my marriage. I immediately got the symbolism of the toddler grabbing at the woman's breast.

You are very talented.

Quoting l0v3ly:

I was disturbed by the top one after I'd completed it too. But I think it really expresses the raw emotion that went into it. At the time I was afraid of having a second baby with a toddler who already seemed so needy and my marriage wasn't in a good place. I didn't have a strong support system then and I was feeling betrayed by the one person who I'd confided in and was supposed to be my partner. I didn't feel strong enough to do it all.

I think the veil represents both my feelings of a dying marriage and also portrays my feelings of inadiquacy, as if I couldn't cover it all. 

Maybe another mom out there can relate...

Quoting 3kidz123:

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Gorgeous paintings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)